Chapter 45: The Open Girl

My conversation with Roxanne was at the beginning of February. Now, it's the middle of February. As March approaches, I feel a hand clasp around my lungs, slowly suffocating me. It will be a year soon since Lizzie left. Also, Louis will be leaving to start a tour soon. I will be alone in London, and I want to clear the air with him before he leaves. I don't know what I'll do if I don't talk to him. He needs to at least hear what I have to say, then he can never speak to me again if he wants.

That's what leads to me standing in front of Louis' door. I need to talk, and he has to listen. But, although I know I have to go through with it, I can't bring myself to walk closer and ring the doorbell. I am beyond nervous. This can make or break us. My goal is for make us, but life has a way of screwing up nicely laid plans.

But, I have to have faith in myself. Over the past couple of weeks, I have gotten better. Roxanne and I are friendly with each other, and I am easing back into my usual self with my school work. Also, I remind myself constantly to not hide anything. If I want to frown at something, then I should frown. I should never have to force a smile, and I haven't during the past couple of weeks. It has been a struggle, but I keep telling myself that it isn't necessary to do that. It caused so much trouble. One thought of Louis the night that I left is usually enough to convince me.

Thinking of that night pushes me to ring the doorbell. I hold my breath, but he doesn't come to the door. This was a stupid idea in the first place. I should have asked if he's home before waltzing over. It's ignorant to assume he would be waiting and ready for me after I put myself together. I'm about to walk away and count today as a failure, but then, I hear a thump and a whispered curse.

“Louis?” I call out in shock.

I hear another thump and another curse, and I knock excitedly. I don't even mind that he is hiding. I'm ecstatic that he's home.

“Louis, please open up,” I say loudly through the door. I want to break it off its hinges. “It's me, Piper.”

But, my enthusiasm wanes when a minute passes, and he still doesn't open the door.

“Louis, I know you're in there,” I tell him sadly. “I heard you fumbling like the idiot you are.”

I laugh lightly just to fill the silence, but it doesn't do much to help. I can't believe that after everything he isn't going to open the damn door. A flimsy piece of wood is what is stopping me in the end. Anger surges through me.

“Fine,” I spit at the door. “I'm leaving now, and I won't be coming back again. But, it's not that I don't want to talk to you. I want to talk to you right now, but you're being a stubborn asshole and won't do me the courtesy of opening your door. So, it's now or never. Last chance before I walk away.”

I begin a glaring match with the door. My eyes start watering after a moment for more reasons than one, but I don't stop them. Tears are no longer my enemy. They aren't something that need to be hidden. I'm not comfortable with them yet, but I'm working on it. Practically fuming, I kick the door that is ruining everything. Technically the door isn't doing anything wrong. Louis is. But, it helps me let out my frustrations a little bit. After successfully kicking the door and hurting my foot, I turn on my heel and have all intentions to walk away. But, his voice stops me.

“I don't want a repeat of that night.”

His voice is muffled, so without turning around, I know he still hasn't opened the door. Sighing, I don't blame him. My anger deflates, and I am only sad. I am sad that I got us into this mess and that he can't trust me enough to let me in. I shuffle back to the door and lean my hands against the cool surface.