Wentworth's Baron - Chapter Six - Bath

CHAPTER SIX

Bath

            The trip to Bath was somewhat cumbersome.  Lord Wentworth and the Baron seemed content in their discussions of the latest sale at Tattersall’s and then on to the business of Lord Wentworth’s hunting dogs and from there the next hunting excursion, news of the war and state of the economy.

            Henrietta was busy contriving her own schemes.  She was determined that Mr. Alexander Barrington was not going to be pleased with his bride-to-be and thought about how she could go about creating the ‘scandal’ without too much emphasis on it being a ‘scandal.’  She couldn’t wait for the opportunity to discuss the matter with Victoria and became content with putting her head back and closing her eyes while she began weaving her web. 

            After passing the porcelain factory, the Baron suggested they stop for the night at the Inn at Birdlip before continuing on to Bath.  Henrietta and her father agreed.  They were both feeling the fatigue of the trip and looked forward to a good meal and a good night’s rest.

            Upon entering the Inn the innkeeper’s wife immediately informed them there was a private parlor available for their use and led them each to their private rooms to freshen up before supper.

            Henrietta was looking forward to a relaxing evening.  She envisioned how she would go about getting Mr. Barrington to ‘catch’ her with the Baron so that he would have a disgust of her.  She quickly dismissed this idea because she wanted to bring events about so that she would not have to even meet this bridegroom in the first place.  She was very adamant about being as difficult as possible wanting to make her point clear to her father and any other male personage of her acquaintance.

            Once more she was intent on finding a way to discreetly discourage him from marrying her.  The more she thought the more frustrated she became. 

            It soon became apparent that she may need to enlist the help of the Baron.  What would he think of her?  She could not help it.  She did not want an arranged marriage.  She thought about how she might broach the subject with him and considered she may as well just tell him.  She would, of course, need to do this privately.

            Supper was a simple meal of mutton and potatoes with mushy peas followed by banbury cakes.  The men continued their discussions now addressing the art of fishing the lakes of Wentworth Hall.  Henrietta excused herself and retired for the evening. 

            After having a bath in her room, Henrietta had just settled down for the evening’s rest when she couldn’t help but overhear a discussion being had in the hall.  It sounded like the Baron but she could not be sure.  She lay in her bed contemplating whether she should go to the door and ask them to keep their voices down but then decided that would be too vulgar. 

            Her curiosity overcame her sensibilities and she arose to put an ear to the door.  What were they saying?  Was it the Baron? 

“...will not marry someone...don’t love.”  “...but you must understand...”  Henrietta could not get much out of the discussion and cracked the door to see if she could see who it was that was talking.  She saw an older man with grey hair talking with the Baron.  Baron Raby was clearly out of sorts with the conversation as he said “tell my father I shall not return presently and I will not marry a woman I do not know.”