Wentworth's Baron - Chapter Sixteen - Back at Wentworth Hall

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Back at Wentworth Hall

            Once at Wentworth Hall, Lord Wentworth enlisted the help of the constable who was a family friend for many years to watch over the grounds and specifically Henrietta.  The fact that someone may have deliberately set off the balloon with Henrietta in it alone did not sit well with him. 

            During supper that evening Henrietta began to feel uneasy at the thought of why someone would want to harm her.  If it wasn’t for the Baron and Wendell with his troupe she most certainly could have been killed.  The thought sent shivers down her spine.  Then she remembered how safe she felt with the Baron even amidst imminent danger.  She could not deny her love for him.  She felt sure now that he felt the same for her.  What would she do now?  Victoria was her dearest friend. 

            “Are you unwell my dear” said her father interrupting her thoughts.  “No, papa.  I am not unwell but I own to have these feelings of uneasiness from time to time.” 

            “That is quite understandable given the circumstances of what you have been through.  I daresay it could have been much worse.”  said her father.

            “You know, papa, we must do something for Wendell and the troupe.  They saved my life.  Could we not invite them for an evening at Wentworth Hall as honored guests?” 

            “I think that to be a good idea indeed.  Of course, we must do something.  But, dear, there is a matter I must discuss with you.”  Lord Wentworth took a tone more somber and continued.

            “You know that while I did my best to avoid what I feared could happen, you were in the balloon with the ‘Baron’ for close to an hour alone.  There has been talk of it being inappropriate.” 

            “What?!”  “Inappropriate?  Whatever are they saying?”  Henrietta thought of her ‘inappropriate’ behavior and blushed.  Her father did not seem to pick up on this and continued.  “Henrietta, you were seen.” 

            “What do you mean ‘seen’?”  she said.  “I have heard from a couple different sources that you were seen in the arms of the man in the balloon with you and well, I fear you have been compromised.” 

            Henrietta sat still.  She did not know what to do.  Wasn’t this what she wanted?  Wasn’t this the plan?  Yes, but not like this.  She thought of Victoria and what she must think of her.  Her best friend.  There was nothing to be done except what must be done in these situations.  She went on “are you saying that the ‘Baron’ has offered to marry me?  What about Mr. Barrington?  Oh, Papa what are we to do?”

            Her father sat for a moment in silent contemplation.  “well, nothing is to be done.  Alexander Barrington must agree to break the engagement and you must marry the Baron.” 

            “But papa!  Victoria and the Baron...I mean...Baron Raby is in love with Victoria!  They were to be married.  I cannot do that to Victoria.  No!  I won’t.  How did this happen.  I must marry Mr. Barrington.”  Henrietta couldn’t believe she actually said those words.  Her heart was aching because she loved the Baron more than she ever thought she could love any man but she could not break the heart of her dearest friend. 

            Lord Wentworth went on to say in a most satisfied manner for he knew the secret of Henrietta’s ‘Baron’ “Well, my dear, we have gotten ourselves into a fine mess that is for sure but there is nothing to be done.  You must marry Baron Raby.  Victoria will get over it.  She is young and she has many suitors I am sure.” 

            Henrietta could barely contain herself.  She did not know what to do next.  What could she do?  Her father was right.  She had been compromised.  Isn’t this what she wanted?  This was not in the way she had planned.  How would she face Victoria?  It was in this sad train of thought that she retired to her room for the evening.

            Henrietta’s subsequent attempts to speak with Vicky failed continuously.  Try as she might to speak with her friend, she knew she was being avoided.  There was always some reason given for not seeing her.  Henrietta sent the invitation for her to come to the dinner party but received no response.  At this, Henrietta determined she would call at Harlaxton to invite her personally to the dinner party they were having to honor Wendell and his troupe but was told that Victoria was not available to see her.  She insisted that she must speak with her but without success.  Would her Vicky ever speak to her again?

            Henrietta returned home forlorn and found the ‘Baron’ visiting with her father in his study.  No doubt they were making the necessary wedding arrangements.  Henrietta wanted to see her ‘Baron’ but was very upset over Victoria refusing to see her and decided to retire to her room instead.  There was still much to do in preparation before this evening’s event that was finally upon them and she found herself in need of some solitude.

            Lord Wentworth and Alexander were indeed in the study but their conversation was not of the nature Henrietta had imagined.  “Sir, I have spoken with the Marquess and Baron Raby and explained to them the nature of our situation.  Lady Sedley has also agreed to allow the charade to play out according to our plans.  Victoria has agreed to decline seeing Henrietta until the day of our wedding even amidst Henrietta’s persistence at speaking with her.  Sir, I must ask if you continue to think it wise to continue this charade?”

            Lord Wentworth shook his head “Yes, my boy I do.  Now that this has become public people must believe she is marrying Baron Raby and we must uncover who it was that set that balloon off.  After you are married we can reveal the truth and hopefully it will be seen as a rouse used to discover who would do such a thing to my dear girl.  Constable Daniels has agreed to stay as security for the evening’s events.”  So, it appeared that this was all that could be done unless Alexander was able to come up with another alternative for which he was at a loss.

            Alexander aka the ‘Baron’ had hoped to have a moment with his bride-to-be but was told she was indisposed in her room not to be disturbed and so returned to Harlaxton.

*****

            Alexander had already sent word to Wendell and the troupe, who were at Hereford at the time, that he would send his carriage to pick them up.  Arrangements had been made for them to stay at the Inn in town for the night before the dinner party this evening.  As he was leaving to pick them up, it suddenly occurred to him that Wendell knew his true identity.  How was he going to keep Henrietta from discovering this fact from Wendall?  “This is a predicament, indeed.” He thought.  The longer he thought about it he realized that he would have no option but to come up with a reason to be called away from the event entirely. 

            He delayed his departure and immediately sent word to Lord Wentworth to arrange for Hawthorne to give him a note the moment they pulled in the driveway stating he must be called away on urgent business that cannot be delayed. 

            Lord Wentworth sent word back agreeing to the suggestion and further requested Alexander to help keep a watchful eye outside of the house for anything that may appear amiss -- discreetly, of course..