Wentworth's Baron - Chapter Fifteen - The Scandal

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The Scandal

            Lady Sedley stood watching the entire scene.  She noticed the Baron and Alexander as Alexander at this point realized he was still wearing his mask and removed it.  Baron Raby approached him and asked if he could be of some assistance.  Alexander kindly declined and asked of Victoria?  “I can’t seem to find her anywhere.  I must own that I was tied up for some time in conversation with the Marquess and I haven’t seen her since.” 

            Lady Sedley approached them “Alexander, my dear, thank God you are alright.  I daresay you gave us a great scare.  Whatever were you thinking taking a lady up in that contraption all alone.” 

            Alexander looked at Lady Sedley and her coy accusation and said “my dear Lady I assure you I had no designs of the sort.  In fact, I heard a lady screaming and came to find out that it was Lady Wentworth alone in the balloon as it was ascending and I could think of nothing but to try and pull it down which, of course, failed because my weight does not match the weight of the balloon and subsequently I was pulled up and had no choice but to climb up into the basket with her.” 

            Lady Sedley gasped.  “Oh, my dear boy, it is a wonder you didn’t fall to your death.  But, you must know what it means when a lady of quality is found alone with a man.” 

            “But, surely it is not so when the man is your betrothed?”  Lady Sedley stood back and eyed the two men from top to bottom.  “Surely, you have not looked at your attire.  The two of you are dressed exactly alike except that you are wearing navy blue and Baron Raby is wearing black.”  The two men looked at each other confused and then suddenly realized the impact.

            Lady Sedley went on “you know I have already heard the whisperings that Baron Raby was in the balloon with Lady Wentworth alone for a whole hour before being rescued by the troupe.  I daresay even my own daughter thought it was Baron Raby with Lady Wentworth in the hedge maze.” 

            Baron Raby interrupted “But, I assure you - I was with the Marquess since just before the fireworks --”  Lady Sedley stopped him from going on “I know.  I saw you speaking very intently in the assembly room but the fact is that the two of you look very much the same especially masked and this situation has the potential for scandal which I am sure neither of our families want.  We must get this sorted out.”

            Lord and Lady Barrington came over to their son and Lady Sedley.  “Oh, Alexander whatever were you thinking.  It is no matter, though, I am glad you are safely on the ground but we are in a bit of a fix now.  I am sure Lady Sedley has told you of this situation.  Whatever are we to do.” 

            Alexander thought of how this could be used to great advantage.  To think, society now considers that Henrietta is compromised which is what she wanted but that now she must marry the Baron who is really Alexander whom she is betrothed to.  However, society thinks it was Baron Raby in the basket and not Alexander.  This is a predicament indeed.

            Henrietta was taken to her room where she was bathed in a hot bath and the doctor was called to make sure all was well.  Her father was determined that they should return first thing in the morning.  The doctor felt she had nothing that a good night’s rest would not cure so at first light they were on their way home to Wentworth Hall.

            Alexander had met with Lord Wentworth late last night to discuss the matter of the ‘scandal’ that was circulating.  It seemed as though the time had come to reveal to Henrietta the true identity of her ‘Baron.’  Alexander, respectfully, thought otherwise.  He was beginning to develop a plan for this but felt that first they needed to figure out who deliberately tried to harm Henrietta.  This was very unsettling to Lord Wentworth.  Who would do such a thing and why?  Maybe it was one of his creditors although that did not seem to be reason enough for such an extreme measure.  No, there must be some other explanation he thought, but what.  Alexander and Lord Wentworth came to the decision that he and Henrietta would return immediately to Wentworth Hall and Alexander was going to do some more of his detective work.