Chapter Three: Road Trip

I wake up in one of the beds in Troye's hotel room. He's screaming "ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP!" as he enters the room with my duffle.

"What? Road trip?" I ask, wincing as I rest on my palms.

"Road trip!" He yells and I sigh.

"What do you mean 'road trip'? C'mon help me out here, Troye"

"I mean I've gained your family's permission to....drum roll please" I bang my hands on the nightstand. "Take you on a road trip to Los Angeles to come to VidCon with me!" Tears spring to my eyes and I run to Troye, throwing my arms around him.

"Thank you, Troye! Thank you!"

"Hey, no problem, Ellie" He laughs, rubbing my back. "It's about a seven hour drive. It's gonna be the best time of our lives. We'll be staying at Tyler's house, and he'll be ready for us by two. Now let's get going"

"Troye I don't believe I'm worthy to be in the presence of Queen herself" I argue.

"Very funny, Ellie. Tyler actually said he's very excited to see you"

That's a statement I never thought I'd here.

"I have to change. I can't go in day-old skinny jeans and a crop top with basic Converses" I protest and Troye rolls his eyes.

"Of course you can! Just wipe the mascara from your cheeks, throw on a hoodie and one of my beanies and bam! You're outfit is complete!" I laugh, grabbing the jean jacket and beanie Troye holds out for me.

"Troye! You bought be a $80 jacket!"

"Consider it a road trip gift" He shrugs and I hug him before turning into the bathroom.

I toss the jean jacket on, wiping off the mascara with a wetted washcloth that makes me feel odd without my makeup wipes. I then feel royal as I put on Troye's blue beanie. I stand in front of the mirror for a solid minute just admiring the beanie.

"Let's go" I say after wrapping bandages around my wrist.

I grab Troye's suitcase and Troye takes mine, since I can't lift it.

They're piled into the trunk of the car before we both hop into the front.

Once we start on our way, I prop my feet up on the dashboard and follow the current artist's lead. Troye plays everything from Nicki Minaj to P!nk to Troye Sivan to Blake Shelton until we reach our first stop, a gas station just outside of Carson City, where his phone dies.

"Here's $50. We need food and drinks for 4 more hours. Spend it all. Here's another $50. Put it on pump 3. Don't die!" Troye shoos me out and I laugh, running inside.

"50 on pump 3" I say, sliding the bill foreward. The cashier taps buttons on the screen before saying I'm all set. Troye signals me that all is good through the window.

It takes four trips to the car and five to the counter to spend the entire fifty. I'll have to pay Troye back somehow.

Once I hop back into the car with the twelfth and final bag, Troye speeds off, flicking through the stations until I yell at him to stop at Twenty One Pilots.

"My name's Blurryface and I care what you think. My name's Blurryface and I care what you think"

"We used to be fine but now we're stressed out"

As the song ends, a new one rises to life and Troye blares it. I snap my head around. I found another being that likes Green Day? Is this real life?

Still baffled, I sing along to my favorite song, Boulevard of Broken Dreams until it ends.

"You like MCR, too?" I drop my mouth open. He nods. "Who are you and what have you done to my Troye?"

He shrugs. "Bitch you don't know me" He says before continuing to sing to Mama.

I feel honored to be called such a name by the Troye Sivan.

I shake my head as he jams out while I stuff my face with Doritos and Goldfish and Mini-Airhead Bites.

"You're funny" I say with my mouth full.

"Will you stop staring at me like I'm some sort of science experiment?" Troye jokes.

"But you're beautiful!"

"That's quite flattering, Ellie. But I have no problem eating you if you don't give me the Cheerios now " I toss him the box and Troye eats the entire thing in an hour.

"It's noon! We've offically been the road for five hours! Two to go! Woohoo!"

"Yay! Two more hours!" I look down, playing with my hands.

"Can I say something?"

"Sure, Ellie. What's up?"

"You know your song The Fault In Our Stars?"

"Man, it's my jam! What about it?"

"Well, it's up on my lists of favorites with Suburbia and Happy Little Pill so I, um, made a video of me preforming it. And um. I'm going to New York to be on America's Got Talent"

"Shutup, Ellie!" Troye yells, smiling with tears in his eyes. I shake my head.

"I got a spot, Troye" I say, beginning to cry merely from his excitement for me.

"That's amazing, Ellie! When do you leave and what are you singing?"

"Well, I'm singing some We're My OTP since they're allowing it. And I'm going to have to fly from L.A. to New York. My audition is Wednesday. Troye, can you come?"

"Ellie, I-" He sighs. "I'd love to. But on Wednesday I'll be back in Perth. As soon as VidCon ends I'm flying back. I really wish I could be there, and I want to, believe me! I'm honored that you are singing one of my songs to perform. Goddammit I wish I could make it. I feel awful, Ellie. I'm sorry. I'd be there if I could. I'm so, so sorry" I start sobbing with Troye.

I knew it was a long shot. I mean, he's Troye.

"No, it's okay. It wasn't gonna happen anyway. I mean, you have important things to worry about"

"This is important, Ellie. This is huge!"

"Well, your things are more important. And I accept that. It's just the way it is. And that's okay, I guess" I sob. Sobbing is the worst. I stare down at my still freshly cut wrist until Troye bangs on the wheel and screams.

"Goddammit, Ellie! I'm so mad! I want to be there for you so bad!" He hiccups, still sobbing.

"Troye, don't cry" I sigh. "It's okay. I don't mind"

"Then why are you crying?"

"Because no one has ever cared so deeply about me" I say quitely, breaking down all over again.

"Ellie. I'm sorry for yelling. I'm just so mad I can't be there for you" Troye sighs and I nod.

"It's okay. Let's just have a good time. I brought something" After a while of searching, I pop in the Trxye EP and Troye smiles.

"You have my EP?"

"Who doesn't? Look!" I point to the green sign.

"Welcome to Los Angeles!" We both scream, partying along to Touch.

"Only like, an hour to Tyler's" Troye says excidetly.

"And in that hour" I say, turning onto my side. "I sleep"