Chapter One

A/N: You guys really should read 'Expiration Date' by MikaelaBender. It's great and this story is based off of it, however I'll try to make it so you won't get to confused by not having any background information.

Deidre

Deidre Doniver cursed.

Well it was more of a 'Clean Curse' which consisted of a string of "Gosh darnits!" and "Son of a butterscotch laffy taffy."

She flung her thumb into her mouth which immediately was filled with the irony taste of blood. She dropped the knife down and wiped her hands on her apron, trying to clean them of cucumber juice.

Her thumb sting where the small cut was and she decided that was enough cooking for the day; two years till she moved out, she had plenty of time.

Well minus the time wasted doing homework...and going to school...and trying to get into college...and earning money for the college she didn't even know if she'd been accepted to or not...

Maybe she should continue cooking. Practice makes perfect, and also lots of finger cuts.

Deidre picked up the knife and dropped it back down again when the front door slammed shut.

"DEIDRE!" Yelled out a familiar voice.

Deidre discarded her apron and walked to the door, sighing along the way but glad for the excuse.

"Simon, what is it?" She leaned against the wall and watched as Simon fumbled with his phone.

He was sweating and looked shaken up, his blue eyes widened and his dark brown hair tousled.

"Are you parents home?" He clamped his hands onto Deidre's shoulders. She noticed he was trembling.

"No. Simon what is-" Deidre furrowed her brows together.

"Deidre the Order was kidnapped by rebels today!" He started to yell but not in excitement.

"Calm down. Nobody was kidnapped by rebels you're imagining things."

"No Deidre - it was at work this morning - I was there! I was kidnapped too!"

Deidre rubbed her Mark unconsciously - her death date - and backed away from Simon.

"Let me get you a drink." She said worriedly and opened the fridge.

"You were right." He whispered and she stiffened.

"What did you say?" She looked back at him, leaving the fridge ajar.

"You were right." Simon said again. "It's possible to live beyond your Date."

"What?"

"I saw it - there was a girl there, she was supposed to die a few months ago."

Deidre pointed to the living room. "Sit. Now. My parents won't be home until tonight - you've got a whole lot of time explain yourself, Simon Wright."