Chapter Twenty-Three

Deidre

Percy's ear was quite soft. It felt like he hadn't gotten nearly enough ear pinchings in his childhood.

She never thought she'd be pinching the Society before, but she also never thought she'd be in this situation.

After they'd found Simon they'd gone back upstairs to the main floor.

"Wait," Percy stopped. "What are we going to do with you two? You've committed several acts of treason already."

"I'm pretty sure ear pinching isn't treason, Percy," Bently smiled.

"I'm not talking about the ear pinching, dipwad," Percy snapped to which Simon tsked.

"Look who's not proper now. Dipwad? I've heard better insults from a toddler." Simon shook his head.

"Oh be quiet you--" Deidre had a feeling Percy was going to let out a string of curse words when Eli interrupted him.

"So what are we going to do, then? Do we bring the Preeminence into this?" Eli crossed his arms.

"Jonas has his own problems," Bently narrowed his eyes, and Deidre was pretty sure Bently just didn't like the the Preeminence. "We can handle this by ourselves."

"No we can't. We can't exile them, we can't sentence them to any torture or imprisonment," Eli said.

"Yes, we can. Don't you want to go home?" Percy directed the question towards Deidre.

"Of course. I have to get home. My mother-" Deidre started.

"We've heard about your mother. She tried Spoiling herself? There's your punishment. You aren't to leave the Estate until the Preeminence says so, or until your Date," Percy smiled smugly as even Bently stared at him, clearly disgusted.

"We need to talk," Eli said and motioned the other two towards another hallway.