Stuck Between My Arch Enemy and My Best Friend - Chapter One: Impressions

"Brook!"

A young man's voice echoed down the hallway, penetrating through the sounds of students hovering around their lockers. A young girl lifted her head, turning around to see the owner of the voice. Her eyes, a sparkling blue, peeked through layers of gorgeous red hair.

"Brooklyn!" the voice called again. It sounded as though the voice was trying to find her, and didn't know where to look in the crowded space. Within moments, she could spot the owner peeking through the crowds, however he didn't get the chance to see her before someone moved into the way.

"Jorden!" she called out, giving him the opportunity to follow her voice. He did just that, arriving only moments later with a crooked smile on place. With black hair sticking up everywhere, it only essentuated the impression that he was flustered.

"That was just...ridiculous!" he paused midway through, emphasising his slight frustration.

Jorden was tall, a good head taller than Brooklyn, but this was a responsibly new thing of the two of them. Brooklyn had always been the taller of the friends, ever since they first met, when they were just six. Jorden's parents moved into the mansion, a little down the street from the young lady. Since both sets of parents seemed to fit the stereotype of work-a-holics, to perfection, it left both the two children alone often. They became best friends as a result.

Brooklyn grabbed her books and laughed at her best friend's unimpressed facial expression. Together they started weaving through the students, in an effort to get to their first classes. Jorden use to complain that Brooklyn grew up faster than him. As soon as they started high school, she had a body with perfect curves (not ridiculously big, but defined, nonetheless) and the sophistication which made her stand out and be remembered. He, however was scrawny and a face full of acne. In the last two years, the world decided to thank him for his patience and suffering, and he had done ridiculously well because of it. With his eventual height, also brought muscles and the a rather defined chin line. The same girls that use to tease him where now literally fighting igmungst themselves for the opportunity to date him. Considering the number that use to tease him, this is quite an impressive achievement.

As they walked through the hallway, casually chatting about the absolutely shocking singers on tv the night before, other kids would move out of their way. Not in the manner of mean girls where if they didn't move, the two best friends would trample them, more in a manner that other kids where aware of them, and wanted to step aside to show good faith.

It was no doubt they were popular. Embory High - a school for the wealthy. In a school like this, everyone was popular, if you has enough money. And the two of them did.

The funny thing is, these two, despite their wealth and popularity, were not like other teenagers. Unlike the "popular" crowd, Jorden and Brooklyn were not interesting in their social status. They didn't care about being seen as better than other students, bragging about their parents money, or acting as though they have more rights than others. They just weren't interest in that... Drama.

Brook blames her parents for the way she turned out. Jorden would roll his eyes to this, secretly thanking Brook's parents for being so ridiculously selfish, which resulting in Brook discovering that there are right ways to treat others, and there were not so right ways... Because of her moral compass pointing so true north, she had assumed the role of Jorden's consciousness, keeping the two of them out of trouble for as long as the had been friends. Jorden held no false impressions: without her, he would be off the rails in days.

That was probably the reason they were so popular, really. Two rich teenagers, whose clothes show exactly how wealthy they are, but never act like the rich spoiled kids. Wow. No wonder everyone knows who they are!