Stuck Between My Arch Enemy and My Best Friend - Chapter Three: Home Sweet Home

"Father. Are you around?" Brook shut the door to her place, and waited for a response. There was no sound. Just incase someone was hidden away and listening, she thought she should continue. "I'm home from school!" But there was still no response.

She wasn't particularly surprised by this. For such a gorgeous home, there wasn't very many people who actually lived there. There was Brook, and on the very rare occasions, her father actually stopped by to stay the night in his own place. Brook wandered through the hallway until she reached the lounge room, gently chucking her handbag over the edge and continued on her way down the hall. Although she never really thought about it, but Brook was a very fortunate girl. Even through the eyes of those at her school, she was of ridiculous wealth. She had grown up in luxury, so she, of course, thought very little of it. However, her place was anything but little. Currently living in the penthouse of an elite apartment building in the centre of the city, 48 stories high, it had five bedrooms, each with private bathrooms and walk in wardrobes, 2 entertainment rooms, 3 lounges, 4 dining facilities, several seriously decked out computer/studies, a library, and even an indoor pool.

Brook was so ridiculously wealthy, that the rich kids at her school were jealous of all that she had. Not that they would ever admit it. The part that tends to bother them the most is how little she cares about said fortune. And of course, how little she cares about being apart of their little 'rich group.'

Was it also mentioned how there was a separate corner for the hired staff, within her place? Brook wasn't the tidiest person in the world, thats for sure, but even she doesn't require full time staff to clean up after her. There were two ladies who looked after the place during the day, and spent their evenings at home with their families. Which leaves poor Brook home alone more than just the majority of the time!

She wandered into the closest kitchen, and started pulling out some items to make herself a somewhat bland dinner. Brook enjoyed cooking, she just wasn't particularly good at it. Jorden can always be caught complaining of the food she makes, and as a result she tends to only eats the food that has already been cooked for her; but she didn't feel like it today.

"How was your day?" her voice penetrated into the empty kitchen, sounding a little hollow as it bounced off the walls. There was no reply.

"Oh, thats good to hear!" Brook continued to chat away happily to herself, seemingly unbothered by the zero responses she was receiving from her environment.

"Well I had, quite possibly, the worst day ever. Do you remember about Luke? I whine about him all the time... Blonde hair, thats the one. Well, I yelled at him. Twice! It was shocking. But my god, if you guys were there, you would have have been cheering me on! Honestly, Mum and dad..."

As the names of her imaginary listeners gently fell out of her mouth, she frowned slightly. It though their names tasted wrong. For they did taste wrong.

Brook knew that if she was to bring up topics such as Luke, her parents would have no clue as to what she was talking about. Because there were never there when Brook tells them all the stories. She was always alone.

Her dad, for as long as she had known him, was obsessed with two things... other women, and other people's money. Through these obsessions, he has always loved his gambling and his hookers. Which left very little time for things like, his wife and his daughter. You can blame Brook's parents divorce on many things, most of which all boil down to one simple fact... Brook's Dad was a tool. A fact that has only been essentuated since her mum left. He went from hiding his affairs, to parading them proudly around the house, from spending money on family holidays, to buying useless replicas that he never looks at again, and from watching movies with his daughter, to never talking to her.