Chapter Nineteen

Hazelpaw was overwhelmed by the swarm of cats as they moved to leave. Unfamiliar smells and pelts whirled around her, making her feel dizzy. She tried to stop any SkyClan cat, but couldn't. Did they leave me behind? Hazelpaw panicked.

"Hello,"

A voice sounded from behind Hazelpaw she turned around to face a young brown tabby, who was standing in front if her.

"I'm Ringpaw,"

He continued, twitching his whiskers in amusement.

"And you must be lost,"

Hazelpaw scuffed her paws along the ground in embarrassment. She nodded her head slightly, looking up at Ringpaw's magnificent green eyes.

"Follow me,"

Ringpaw flicked his tail and lead Hazelpaw into the crowd. She pushed close to him, so that they didn't become separated. She felt Ringpaw purred.

"Well, I know I'm charming, but I didn't think you'd want to get close to me this quickly!"

He meowed. Hazelpaw tilted her head. Was that a joke? She moved away a little, just in case.

"I was joking,"

Ringpaw purred. Hazelpaw forced a purr, but was too nervous to relax.

"You got a name?"

He asked. They reached the edge of the crowd, where Mintstar, and some other cats Hazelpaw presumed to be ThunderClan, were gathered with SkyClan. She nodded.

"It's Hazelpaw,"

She meowed.

"That's a pretty name,"

Ringpaw told her.

"A pretty name for a pretty cat,"

Hazelpaw blushed. Did he think she was pretty, or was he just being friendly?

"You're not so bad yourself,"

Hazelpaw teased, beginning to relax. Mintstar began to talk.

"I will take a patrol to go with SkyClan to their new territory. Lionface, Fallowhop, Sorrelpath and Brackenfall. The rest of you can stop when you reach our camp,"

The two Clans walked back over the fallen tree. Hazelpaw was a little disappointed that Ringpaw couldn't come all the way to the new territory with her, but there was nothing she could do about that. All of SkyClan looked exhausted. The kits were asleep and being carried now, and Hazelpaw felt her own eyelids droop. Ringpaw fell in beside Hazelpaw as they walked beside the lake. Hazelpaw looked over her shoulder. She noticed Robinpaw staring at her and her new-found friend, but she decided to ignore it.

"Tell me about ThunderClan,"

Hazelpaw begged Ringpaw. He purred.

"Well, ThunderClan live between ShadowClan and WindClan. We hunt in the undergrowth-"

The two apprentices chatted into the night, and before Hazelpaw had even realised it, they were deep into the forest. Ringpaw's pelt brushed hers.

"I've got to go,"

He murmured, his breath stirring the fur on her cheek.

"See you,"

Ringpaw turned off to a different route with most of his clan mates.

"See ya!"

Hazelpaw called after him. Limepaw padded up to her.

"Who's your friend?"

She asked. Hazelpaw purred.

"That's Ringpaw. He's the deputy's apprentice! He's also pretty cool,"

Hazelpaw explained. Limepaw nodded.

"He's also pretty good-looking,"

She teased.

"It's a shame he's a ThunderClan cat!"

Hazelpaw gave her friend a shove. Limepaw charged at Hazelpaw, knocking her off her feet. She looked up to see Stoneclaw standing over them, a stern look across his face.

"You two, stop fooling around! Some of us need to rest, and you're slowing us down!"

Stoneclaw scolded. Limepaw and Hazelpaw hung their heads.

"We're sorry, Stoneclaw,"

They apologised in unison. Hazelpaw scrambled to her feet as Stoneclaw padded off. Soon enough, they reached a border. This time it was laid with ThunderClan scent.

"Would you like us to help you find a camp?"

Mintstar offered. Sandystar shook her head.

"We won't look for a permanent camp until tomorrow. We're much too tired,"

She meowed, then dipped her head to the grey tom.

"Thank you for your help, Mintstar,"

Mintstar dipped his head to the tabby leader, before leading his cats away. Sandystar continued onward a few fox-lengths, before stopping at a large bush.

"We can stay here for the night,"

Sandystar meowed. The warriors sleepily agreed. Hazelpaw padded under the bush and curled up between Batpaw and Robinpaw. Closing her eyes, she fell instantly to sleep.