Chapter Twenty-Eight

Sandystar padded out of her den. Leafspots stumbled tiredly into the warriors den, worn out from guarding camp all night. Cherrysong, Ferretpaw, Tallheart and Hailforce headed out, while Ashleaf organised the other hunting patrols. Confusion swept over Sandystar as an exhausted Hazelpaw walked into camp, scuffing her paws along the ground and carrying a tiny sparrow. Sandystar walked over to talk to the apprentice, but was cut off by Snowtail and Brook.

"You're looking better,"

Sandystar meowed to Brook. She dipped her head.

"I take it you want to leave now,"

Annoyance glimmered in Brook's eyes, but Snowtail cut in.

"No, actually. We came to ask if Brook could stay,"

The white tom meowed. Sandystar's eyes widened in surprise. Why would she suddenly want to stay? Can I really let such a nasty, hostile cat stay in SkyClan?

"I don't know..."

Sandystar said doubtfully. Brook licked her silver chest fur.

"Please,"

Snowtail begged, hopefulness in his eyes.

"She's a great hunter and climber, and the most amazing fighter,"

He meowed. Sandystar looked suspiciously at Brook, then back to Snowtail. If I send her away, she could die, Sandystar thought with a fright, remember how sick the silver rouge was when she came to the Clan.

"Okay,"

Sandystar meowed. Snowtail and Brook exchanged joyful glances.

"You'll make a fine warrior, Brook,"

Brook's eyes narrowed into slits as Sandystar spoke.

"You'll make me a warrior straight away?"

She asked in disbelief. Sandystar nodded, signalling to Owlpelt with her tail.

"As soon as you pass your assessment,"

Sandystar meowed. Owlpelt gave her a questioning glance.

"Let's go,"

"Now?"

"Yes, now,"

Sandystar told her, leading the cats from the camp. Noticing that Owlpelt still looked confused, she added.

"You're helping to assess Brook. If she passes, she'll become a SkyClan warrior,"

Owlpelt looked as unsure as Sandystar felt, but didn't argue. They padded deeper into the SkyClan forest, before Sandystar stopped them.

"We'll start with hunting. I want to see your climbing and bird-catching skills,"

Sandystar meowed. Brook dipped her head and slunk into the trees. Sandystar was surprised at how confident she looked. But then again, she's been a warrior before. Owlpelt cleared his throat, flicking his tail to a pungent patch of mushrooms. The three cats quickly covered their scent, rolling in the mushroom patch. Quietly, they stalked through the undergrowth after Brook. Sandystar spotted her leaping with ease up a birch tree. She's a natural jumper, Sandystar thought. There was a shrill cry as Brook bit the neck of a magpie. With a satisfied expression on her face, she jumped from the tree. To Sandystar's surprise, Brook dropped the bird, not bothering to bury it, and headed to a clump of bracken. She leapt over it, and there was a loud "Oof,"

Owlpelt's head emerged from the other side of the bracken. Brook stood up, too.

"I think you've passed the tracking assessment already,"

Owlpelt meowed to Brook. She looked at him, clearly unsure whether or not he was joking.

"I think so, too,"

Sandystar agreed, stepping out of her hiding place. Snowtail came out as well.

"I've seen almost enough. Now I just need to see your fighting skills,"

Sandystar continued. Brook's eyes gleamed. It was clear enough to fight where they were standing, so Sandystar decided to complete the last part of the assessment there.

"Fight Snowtail. Claws sheathed,"

She said pointedly. Brook looked at the white tom, dropping into a crouch. A prickle of doubt met Sandystar's spine. Snowtail's one of my best fighters. Is this too difficult? Brook, however, didn't look daunted. With a yowl, she jumped onto Snowtail's back, digging her teeth into his scruff. Almost immediately, Snowtail rolled onto his back, but Brook leapt of just in time to avoid being crushed. Snowtail got to his feet, lashing out at Brook with one sheathed paw. Quick as a fox, she dodged around his blow, grabbing his front leg in her teeth, before kicking him away with both hind legs. That's a good move, Sandystar thought. I'll have to get her to teach me. I can hardly believe she's winning! Snowtail scrambled to his feet yet again, winded. Seizing the opportunity, Brook bowled him over, delivering repeated blows to his exposed stomach. I've seen enough, Sandystar decided.

"Stop!"

She demanded. Brook sat back on her haunches, letting Snowtail up. She licked a silver paw daintily.

"Did I pass?"

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"I, Sandystar, leader of SkyClan call upon our warrior ancestors to look down on this cat. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her as a warrior in her turn,"

Brook stood next to Sandystar as she spoke. Many cats were murmuring to each other, but Sandystar chose to ignore them.

"Brook, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Sandystar looked down at the silver tabby. For a moment, Sandystar noticed uncertainty in the she-cat's eyes, but it didn't last long enough for Sandystar to be sure.

"I do,"

Brook meowed, trying to suppress the pride in her voice. Sandystar remembered the name Snowtail had told her.

"Then by the power of StarClan, I give you, once again, your warrior name. From this day forwards, you shall be known as Brookshine! StarClan honours your skill and your independence, and welcome you as a full warrior of SkyClan,"

Brookshine dipped her head as Sandystar rested her muzzle on top of it. The new warrior hesitantly licked her shoulder.

"Brookshine! Brookshine! Brookshine!"

Snowtail lead the chant, but the whole Clan soon joined in.

"Thank-you,"

Brookshine breathed to her leader.