Chapter Eight: Wishing On Stars We Can Never Catch

A/N: Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a great week! 

Just a quick mention: I'll be featured on the Wattpad Block Party - Winter Edition II on Feb 7th so make sure to check it out, read the bonus content, drop me a line or a question on that same post because I'll be online most of that day. The Block Party goes on all February long so check out the line-up for your other favorite authors.

Here's the newest chapter! Happy reading!

***

I spent Saturday morning at the the Lighthouse and then the library. I had a paper to submit as an entry to snag a spot on a trip to Yukon up in northern Canada.

I planned to become a mining engineer. It was a lot of money and it took you to lots of faraway places for long periods of time—just the kind of career I needed to let me get away from it all. As a freshman, I was taking general classes for the most part but I'd gotten into Geology 101 which was taught by the same professor who handled more advanced classes for the mining engineering students. The trip up north was mostly a week-long exploratory visit in one of the biggest mineral-rich sites in North America but it put me on the professor's radar and let me tag along with the other older students who would be facilitating the trip. It would help me make strides. The school was funding some of the trip's cost but the rest of it was up to the students to cover. I had enough savings to afford it but aside from the money, I needed to win a spot on the list first.

After lunch, I went to Uni-Save for my shift which didn't end until about eight.

The townhouse was dark and empty when I came home. It was Saturday night and I figured Julian was probably out having the time of his life.

On Sunday morning, I got up later than usual and came downstairs to make an extra-large cup of hot chocolate for myself. I was still in my pajamas, legs tucked under me as I sat on the massive couch watching TV and sipping my hot chocolate when Julian's door opened.

"Morning," he greeted groggily as he stretched his arms up toward the ceiling, his muscled abs peeking from under his dark blue shirt. His hair was wild and sticking out in places and there were shallow creases on one side of his face which he must've slept on. He looked adorable.

I glanced at the wall clock above the TV. "It's eight-fifty-four in the morning."

"I know what time it is, trust me," Julian said with a small groan before plopping down on the couch next to me. "I'm wired to get up a bit early on Sunday because we have morning practices every two weeks."

He sank deeper into the couch, his arm pressed up against my shoulder. "I hate it but there's nothing I can do about it. You'd think I'd be used to it by now after years of early morning swimming practices."

I lowered the volume on the TV and looked at him. "Have you always had trouble getting to sleep?"

He shook his head. "Not really. Probably started five or six years ago."

"Probably when you started getting active with girls." I smirked and rolled my eyes. "Why sleep when you can fuck?"

He tilted his head up at me, his brows drawn together. "Funny you say that. I had more and more sex because it wiped me out and sometimes, when I'm exhausted enough, I can sleep a bit better."

It seemed like an opening at another crack at him but I surprised myself when I reached out and touched his cheek lightly. "Have you seen a doctor about it? Maybe it's something you need medical help with."

He shrugged whatever he could of his shoulders because he was now pretty much leaning on his side against me but I didn't move away. "I did once but they just gave me some meds. I don't like meds."