A Fateful Encounter

Harvey and Dade laying in the grass one night, looking up at the stars. Dade was completely at peace just where he was.  As time grows on, Fee and Foo take up more of Harvey's time.

   "Hey, Harvey", Dade whispered. "Were best friends, right?"

  "Of course. You're my first and best friend, Dade", Harvey smiled turning towards him.

  Of course I am. I knew it.  I'm just being silly, Dade thought.

  Dade remembered how they first met.

Flashback

  A much younger Dade ran through the forest, pushing branches out of the way and jumping over rocks. Behind him he heard the footsteps of them behind him.

  All Dade wanted to do was play at park, but a group of bullies started picking on him when he started sorting broken sticks by himself.

He kept running, but he was tripped by a bramble, his foot trapped. He knew by the sound of them approaching it was too late to escape.

  "There he is!", called a young, burly crocodile.
Dade tried one more attempt,  but he was pinned down by the croc and now a goose as well.  She called out.  "We got 'em!"

And out stepped the apparent leader.  She was a badger who looked like she had a bad attitude. She was at least twice Dade's age.  At least 10.

"Who do you  think you are?!",  she yelled in Dade's face.
"Coming into our park and cleaning up of all things"
She began to pace back and forth in front of him.

  "You're lucky I'm in a good mood otherwise - -  hey.  What's that?", she motioned towards Dade's pocket.

Inside his pocket he had a new small toy car.

"Its nothing", Dade quickly blurted.

"Shake him down", in no time flat they found Dade's car.

"Well. Well. Well. You know.  I was gonna let you go, but now in the view of the circumstances.  I think I make an example of ya",  she threw down the toy car and stomped on it repeatedly and kicked it into the mud.

"Stop! Stop it!", Dade cried. 
"Aww look at the baby bunny",  the badger laughed. 

"We better not see you around again",  she laughed.  Her and her friends walked triumphantly back to the park.

Dade fell to the ground and clutched the broken pieces of his favorite car.  It was in pieces. Broken, and muddied.

Dade sat sobbing against a tree as his gift from his father had been trashed so cruelly.

"Um, are you okay?",  A voice asked. It was gentle and calm. Dade looked up with tears still streaming down his face.

"You don't have to be sad", the voice said.

He reached out his hand.

 My name is Harvey

... My name is Harvey...