Chapter 2 ~ The Day Job

I wake up the next morning to my alarm going off. I turn it off and slowly sit up to stretch. I then take a step out of bed and feel something pulling, "Ouch!" I yelled as I felt slight pain in my lower back. What the hell!? I exercise often, why am I having back pain? Maybe it's just a pulled muscle from when I was twerking like crazy last night.

I slowly get out of bed and drag myself into the kitchen to eat breakfast. I open my refrigerator and take out leftover In-N-Out and a green vegetable drink from Pressed juicery. Yeah, I know that's not a real breakfast but it is to me, ha.

After breakfast I took a relaxing shower, then I put on a black T-shirt, gray sweatpants and a gray hoodie with adidas slides. I grab my car keys and leave out to my grandparents restaurant.

Oh yeah, there's something I forgot to mention last night, I'm a waiter at a Mexican restaurant that my grandparents own, called La Cocina de Pérez which means The Perez Kitchen. It's my day job, like how stripping is my night job. I've been struggling with rent for awhile so having 2 jobs is a must have. My monthly rent is $1,500 for a 1 bedroom apartment which is ridiculous but hey, that's California for ya. Some places have $2k+ monthly rent so thank god I don't have that to worry about!

Meanwhile I pull up in the employees' parking lot and went inside. "!Hola Jacob!" said my Nana who's washing the dishes. "!Hola Nana!" I went behind the counter to give her a hug. "Jacob you have bags under your eyes." she said holding my face to get a closer look. "Yeah I know. I stayed up late last night." I sighed. "You had to work at that strip club, didn't you?" she asked and I nod slowly. "I still wish you would find a better job that pays just as much." she said sternly. Man I really hate having to bring up the strip club knowing my grandparents don't approve of it. "Nana just be happy that I'm able to provide for myself." I said. "And I'm happy for you Jacob, I really am." She kiss my cheek and continues to wash the dishes.

I walk in the back to hang up my hoodie and grab my apron and put it on. Papa was in the break room putting away stock. "Hey Papa." I waved at him. He waves back, "Hi Jacob!" We hug each other then pulled away. "I can put away the stock for you. There's no customers at the moment so I can help if you want." I said. "No it's fine Jacob, I got it." "Ok." I leave out and a customer walks in with a laptop in his hand. Wow I'm right on time. "Hi, welcome to La Cocina de Pérez. My name is Jacob and I'll be your waiter for today." I lead the customer to a seat and take his order. "I'll just have some toast with eggs and a cup of coffee." "How would you like your eggs?" "Sunny side up please." "Ok!" I jot down his order and quickly got to work in the kitchen.

When the food and coffee was ready, I go to him with the tray. "Thanks." he said moving over his laptop to make space. "No problem. Call me over if you need anything." The man nods and I head back to the counter.

Later on, 2 girls walk in together laughing at something on their phone. They both walk up to the counter and one of them looks familiar. "Hi and welcome. I'm Jacob and I'll be yo-" "Omg! Aren't you Papi Chulo from the strip club last night?" she asked. "Uhhhh yeahhh." I said hesitantly. I glance back seeing Nana look at me, then she looked at the girls. Ugh this is embarrassing. I walk the girls over to a seat. "I didn't expect you to work here." she said smiling at me. "Yeah heh, it's my day job." My cheeks grew hot. "So this was the one who got freaky with you last night? Okay den guurrrrrll!" her friend nudged her. Ugh she's really loud. I don't want my Nana to overhear her. "Alright ladies so what would you like?" I asked pulling out my notepad and pen. "I'd like to have a order of some Blaxican DICK!" The girl's friend said out loud and I put my finger on my lip to quiet her down. "Hey hey stop. My grandmother might hear you." "Oh I'm sorry. But uhhh I'll get an enchilada with extra cheese and lemonade." "Okayy, and for you?" I looked at the girl in her eyes and she blush. "I'll have a Mexican omelette with hash browns and a glass of water." "Ok, coming right up."

When Nana finished washing the dishes, she helped me make the girls orders. "That nasty girl oughta be ashamed of herself." Nana whispered to me. "Nana she was just joking. She didn't mean it." I said cutting up bell peppers. Nana shakes her head. While I was cooking, I couldn't help but notice the girl I was with last night was staring at me. I should ask for her name and number but I don't want my Nana to think I'm flirting.

When their food was done I brought the tray over to them. "Here you are." "Thanks." They said. "Mhm, uh what's your name by the way?" I said looking at the girl from last night. "Who me?" she asked unsure. "Yeah, duh." I chuckled. "Oh um, Lia." I lean to her ear and whispered, "That's pretty." I began to turn around to head back to the counter and I hear her friend, "Aw come on! So you're not gonna ask for my name too!?" she shouted. I acted like I didn't hear her. Honestly though, I could care less about getting her name. She's not my type. Plus she's loud and embarrassing compared to Lia. Lia is more...chill.

After the man with the laptop ate his food and left, I gathered his dishes to wash them. As my back was turned, I hear the girls talking about me. "Imagine Papi Chulo stripping on top of the tables and counter, and we pour syrup or salsa all over his body." said Lia's friend. "Deja stop. He might hear you." Too late Lia. It's way too quiet in this restaurant, except for the Spanish music playing in the background from the kitchen counter but still. I tend to keep ignoring her friend Deja. She's just not my cup of tea.

After they ate, Deja left the bill on the table and Lia walks up to me. "Here's an extra tip." She sneaks a 5 dollar bill in my apron pocket. "Aw thanks sweetie. Are you coming to the club tonight to see me again?" "Unfortunately I can't because I have to work. But I'll definitely be back soon." "Ight." I wink at her then she leaves out with Deja.

{Story Questions}

What do you think of Jacob's day job working with his grandparents? 🙂
A/N: 10+ comments for a new chapter