Part 35

Some more time passed. There was only a couple of months left of their freshman year. Bruno and Ashley were still dating. Bruno really enjoyed spending time with her. Ryan seemed to like her which was important to Bruno since Ryan was also his best friend.

Mia and Tyler was a different story. Mia's uncle had actually started to let Mia go hang out with Tyler now. I guess he figured if she could follow the rules being with Bruno it was okay for her to hang out with other friends. But a couple times after she hung out with him Bruno caught her coming home with tears in her eyes. When he asked her what was wrong she had just told him she and Tyler had a fight but that they would be fine. He didn't push her for more. Bruno had always respected her and given her space when there were things she didn't want to talk about. He would just hug her and let her cry on his shoulder. Then she would thank him and go inside.

Tonight their school was having a talent show. Bruno, of course, was scheduled to perform. The teacher told him he would be he last act. So he took a seat with his family, Mia, and Ashley to watch the other acts. About half way through Mia excused herself. About ten minutes after that Mia appeared center stage. Bruno was surprised. She hadn't told him she would be participating in the talent show. He wondered what she was going to do.

The teacher got the mic. "Mia Gutierrez will be singing I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston!"

Bruno's eyebrows shot up in surprise as he clapped with the rest of the crowd. Bernie asked him if he knew she was performing and he said no.

Mia nervously took the mic and the music started. Bruno sat up straight in his seat and all his focus was on her. Mia brought the mic to her lips and started singing

"Clock strikes upon the hour
And the sun begins to fade.
Still enough time to figure out
How to chase my blues away.
I've done alright up 'til now
It's the light of day that shows me how
And when the night falls
Loneliness calls.

Oh! I wanna dance with somebody
I wanna feel the heat with somebody
Yeah! I wanna dance with somebody
With somebody who loves me
Oh! I wanna dance with somebody
I wanna feel the heat with somebody
Yeah! I wanna dance with somebody
With somebody who loves me

I've been in love and lost my senses
Spinning through the town.
Sooner or later the fever ends
And I wind up feeling down.
I need a man who'll take a chance
On a love that burns hot enough to last.
So when the night falls
My lonely heart calls.

Oh! I wanna dance with somebody
I wanna feel the heat with somebody
Yeah! I wanna dance with somebody
With somebody who loves me
Oh! I wanna dance with somebody
I wanna feel the heat with somebody
Yeah! I wanna dance with somebody
With somebody who loves me

Somebody who somebody who.... somebody who loves me,
Somebody who somebody who... to hold me in his arms.
I need a man who'll take a chance,
On a love that burns hot enough to last.
So when the night falls,
My lonely heart calls."

Bruno watched her in amazement. Her voice was mind blowing! He had no idea she could sing like that. He wondered why she had never told him. He didn't take his eyes off of her for a single second.

she finished it off the last bit of the song.

"Don't you wanna dance?
Say you wanna dance...(Dance)
Uh-huh
With somebody who loves me"

As soon as she finished the last note Bruno jumped up out of his seat and started clapping. "WOOOOO! THAT WAS AMAZING MIA!!!" he yelled.

The rest of the people sitting in the audience followed his lead and clapped and gave approving sounds.

Mia stood in the middle of the stage with a smile on her face. "Thank you!" she said.

Bruno's eyes were still on her and he was still clapping with everyone else. He felt a sense of pride seeing her standing there, center stage with everyone cheering for her. "She definitely deserves this" he thought to himself. Mia made eye contact with him and they both smiled wider. She could see in his eyes that he was so proud of her and that made her happy.