Part 44

After a moment of crying in his arms she pulled away and looked into his eyes. "I don't understand what I ever did to her. I always tried to be nice to her Bru, I really did. I'm so sorry I ruined things for you!" she said to him.

"Hey, hey. You didn't do anything. She did. Okay? I'm fine. Let's wipe those tears and get you all cleaned up. I'm sure mom and pops are wondering where we are now. I know you don't want them to see you like this" Bruno said to her.

Mia nodded. "Okay. Thank you Bruno" she said hugging him one last time before he helped her up.

Bruno walked with her to the closest bathroom and waited for her to go in and get herself together. Of course her eyes were still puffy when she came out and her nose was a little red, but other than that, she looked okay. She gave him a warm smile. "I'm so thankful for you Bru, you have no idea. I want you to know that if anyone ever made me choose between you and them, I would pick you every time too!" She hugged him again.

He hugged her back still careful not to hurt her. "I know you would. I know. Now come on Whitney Houston, let's get outta here" he said with a grin.

Mia beamed at him and took his hand. "Okay Bruno Mars, let's go!" she said and giggled.

He looked at her and laughed. "Bruno Mars? What is that?" he asked her.

She smiled at him. "You....because you are out of this world!" she said and laughed again.

He laughed with her. "Bruno Mars. It has a nice ring to it, I like it!" He gave her his dimpled smile. "Silly girl. I adore you" he said.

Mia smiled and just like that, she had forgotten the terrible moments that had happened just a little bit ago. Her and Bruno were all laughs. When they made it to the car, they were so busy laughing that no one even noticed anything had gone wrong.

When they made it home. She and Bruno stayed behind while everyone else went inside. They sat in their usual spot and just gazed at the stars. Neither of them said a word. They didn't have to. All they needed was each others company. Bruno knew Mia just needed him to be there, so he was.

Mia was the first to break the silence. "Thank you" were the words that came out of her mouth.

Bruno looked at her. She wasn't looking at him. She was looking up at the sky, but he knew she was talking to him. "For what?" he asked her.

Mia looked at him. "For always being there for me when I need you. For being my best friend. For singing that song for me tonight. Basically, for being you. There isn't much in my life I can count on but I know that I can always count on you" she said giving him a shy smile.

Bruno smiled at her. "I will always be here for you Mia. Don't ever doubt that. You can count on me, always. That's what friends are supposed to do" He kissed her on the cheek. "As for the singing, it's what I do. No biggie" he said.

"Except it is. These few months you dated Ashley and I never once heard you sing a song for her. But you have for me. Twice. I just want you to know that I noticed and I appreciate it. It means a lot to me. I want you to know that. So thank you. For always being you." Mia said and hugged him.
Bruno hugged her back. He wished he could stay like that with her forever but he knew better. He wasn't going to make the same mistake twice. Mia made it clear that she just wanted to be friends. He would rather have her as a friend any day than as nothing at all. He really did cherish the friendship they had. It meant the world to him. So much that it scared him sometimes. Hearing her say that she would choose him over anyone too meant more to him than he was willing to admit right now.