Letter to an old friend

Dear old friend,

I am so sorry. That's the first thing I have to say. We were close, we were so close and then we got closer and it destroyed it and things have never been the same. Don't date your best friend I guess, it just ends in heartbreak. I honestly think I did the right thing, ending things. But I miss you. You were my best friend, you and a few other choice people. One of them isn't in my life anymore and you know everything about that and I can't bear to lose you too.

You were a friend for so many years, not close for a while just friends. Through music, through mutual friends; you were so small in personality, shy and nervous. Underneath you soared, your heart so free and strong. You'd faced adversity and you'd come out the other side telling them to go fuck themselves, as you should. You're amazing and I really hope you know it, you always tell me to shush but I can't until you know it.

I'm so glad that we are becoming friends again, becoming close again. I'm so glad you're close with other people, that you're opening yourself up to others who aren't me. We both knew I was unreliable and I'm so sorry. But I want you to be happy, and I'm so glad you're getting there again. I know I ruined things, I know I messed everything up. Know that I care about you; you're still my best friend underneath. I still know you inside and out.

Thank you, old friend, for caring for me and accepting me as I am. Know I will always accept you as well. I think you're amazing.