Chapter 1 - I Made it to Gravity Falls

"Jerrica!"

"Abuelita!"

I ran off the bus to hug my grandmother, who stood with my cousin Soos waiting for my arrival.

"Oh, it has been so long, nieta," she said. I pulled away from our hug. "How have you been in the gran ciudad?"

"Oh, it's way different from Portland," I replied. I turned to my cousin. "Soos! My favorite primo! Como estas?"

"I'm doing great!" he replied enthusiastically. "I'm so happy that you're staying here in Gravity Falls for the summer! We're going to have the best summer ever!"

"Heck yeah!" I hugged my thirteen year old cousin. "I'm so excited!"

We all caught up on the car ride to Grandma's house.

"You can stay in Soos's room with him," Grandma said. "Or you can sleep on the couch if you want your privacy, nieta."

"I'll share a room with Soos," I said. "Do you have an air mattress somewhere?"

"Oh, there's a pullout bed in the wall in my room," Soos said. "You can sleep on that!"

"Uh, okay," I said. "Is there space for me to put my bags in your room?"

"Yeah!" Soos said enthusiastically. "We have plenty of room!"

I nodded and smiled. Soos and I have very different backgrounds. My older brother is twenty and my older sister is nineteen, so I never see them. Soos on the other hand is an only child. I live with my parents in California, while Soos's parents abandoned him, and he lives with Grandma here in Gravity Falls, Oregon. I had no idea how lonely Soos was until I came to spend the summer with him and Grandma.

"Oh, I almost forgot to mention," Soos said, "I work at the Mystery Shack for Mr. Pines."

"Hey, that's cool!" I said. "I'll have to stop by sometime."

"Yay!" Soos exclaimed. "This is going to be the best summer EVER!"

I smiled. Yes, it would be.