Chaper 4 - Into the Woods

After locking the door behind us, Soos and I headed towards the edge of town. The sun was just barely coming over the mountains.

"Soos, is there any good places to watch the sunrise from?" I asked.

He thought about it for a minute. "Well," he finally responded, "we could watch it from the water tower."

"Great!" I said, "Let's go before we miss it!" I grabbed his wrist and ran out of the house.

Once I realized I had no idea were anything was in this town, I had Soos lead, and we were off to the water tower. It was still so dark outside that we had to use flashlights if there weren't any street lights.

We ran most of the way (Soos kept getting "tired") until we finally got to the water tower. Like kids, we hurriedly climbed up the water tower and found the perfect spot at the top.

And although it took a while, we finally saw the sun rise.

The sky was a beautiful combination of pink, purple, deep blue, and orange. I smiled as I watched. I had never seen a sun rise like that before.

When the sun had officially rose, we climbed back down, and Soos took me to the forest.

When we started in, I could smell the fresh pine and morning dew. There was a soft breeze that felt good but made me want to zip up my jacket. We walked deeper in. I could feel the soft dirt and spots of grass under my feet. 

"Soos, I just love it here," I said.

"Yeah, its," he got whacked with a branch, "pretty nice."

I laughed. "Come on!"

We ran a little deeper into the woods. I was excited! I couldn't remember the last time I was in a forest or anything like this.

I heard birds singing, and once or twice a deer ran by.

I laughed with excitement.

(And no, it wasn't a creepy laugh.)

Finally we reached a spot were it was kind of open with a huge tree by it.

I looked at the time. 10:50. Man, how had time gone by so quickly?

"Let's stop here for lunch," I said.

"Okay," Soos said, nearly panting from trying to keep us with my quick pace.

We sat down and Soos caught his breath. Then, I swung my backpack off my shoulder and pulled out the two lunches we had made.

We ate in silence because we were both stuffing our faces. We were really hungry.

Because I eat quickly, I cleaned up, sat there, and waited for Soos to get done.

When he did finish, I found a nearby pine cone and threw it at a tree.

"I bet I can hit the farthest tree," I challenged.

We each took turns throwing pine cones trying to hit a tree farther than the other had.

Then, Soos threw a sucky one that hit the closest tree. But when it hit it, instead of the normal sound it made on impact the pine cone sounded like it hit something metal and hollow.

I walked over to the tree. Soos followed me. I rubbed my hand against the surface. It felt metal.

I felt to the side, and opened the trunk.

"What the heck?" Soos said.

Inside it there was what looked like an old school radio or something. It was an old yellow with black knobs, antennas, and two black switches on top.

Soos reached in and switched the first knob on and off.

"Don't do that," I said.

I then reached in and switched the second knob on.

"Hey!" Soos said, since I just yelled at him for switching a knob.

Then, behind us we heard a noise like something slid open. We turned around, and where we were just sitting for lunch on the grass the top of a box slid open.