1: Polka Dots & Flip Flops

“Keagan, you aren’t five. Grow the hell up and tie your own shoelaces.” I remarked, looking at the blonde.

We were sitting around the fire we built and it was getting pretty quiet. Not to mention, awkward.

Keagan looked up at me with a pout, “Really Dan? I’ve done you so many favors and you can’t even tie my shoelaces?”

I rolled my eyes and bent down, grabbing the two pieces of string and making sure to tie them as tight as I can.

“Whoa. Calm down, I’m asking you to tie my shoelaces not to stop my blood circulation.”

“Take it or leave it.”

It was his turn to roll his eyes and I smirked as I grabbed the other pair.

“So, what are we going to do now? Cade and Daniel are on the way over.” He asked, putting his arms behind his head.

"I don’t know. I’m thinking of camping here for the night and then heading out in the morning. It’s way too dark to do anything right now.  Besides, we’ve got school in two days, Leah would kill me if I skipped and you know how Leah is.” I said, narrowing my eyes.

“Yeah, yeah. We all know you’re scared of your sister.” He retorted.

I snorted, giving him the finger.

“You got your bags?” I pondered, asking about the sleeping bags we prepared yesterday morning.

“Yeah, I got them. Cade’s got yours. Or not. We can’t trust that idiot with anything.”

I laughed, nodding in approval.

“I’m going to hit the sack now; big day tomorrow. Night Dani.”

“Night Keagan. Don’t dream of me too much.” I teased, winking.

“Ha-ha, very funny.”

I smiled to myself, kicking some more wood into the fire.

Oh, what I do for you, dad.

-

“Dani! You little bitch, better get your ass down here or I will drag you down the stairs by your hair, you get me? Don’t make me come up there!”

I groaned, rolling in my bed.

It was Monday. 

And that meant one thing; hell.

“I’m coming! Calm the fuck down and shut up! Jesus Christ!” I screamed back.

I didn’t know how, but somehow Leah’s loud voice could make its way up the stairs and through my closed door and it still sounded like she was screaming directly in my ear.

I dragged myself away from the cozy bed and stumbled into the bathroom. I always looked charming when I woke up.

Note the sarcasm.

My black hair, whether or not I liked it was always greasy and much to my dismay, full of dandruff. I wouldn’t be surprised if I got a bad case of hair lice soon. I scratched at the scar on my left arm, making it turn a bright red. I quickly brushed my teeth before starting a shower.

I looked back at myself in the mirror ahead of me and sighed, realizing that some tooth paste got stuck to my hair. Leah would be up soon holding a kitchen knife and some other weapon that she has hidden under her ‘Dora the Explorer’ apron.

Leah Harrison was my twenty-five year old (might I mention broke) sister. And as most of the neighborhood say, she was nowhere near classy. Not that I minded. We, the Harrisons were never known as classy.  With a father working day and night, holding a gun in his back pocket and a mother who knows more ways to use a knife than Scream, we weren’t born to wear polka dotted dresses and flip flops, no, we were a whole different story and ever since my dad left, a whole new chapter was being written.