Prologue

A/N:  Please note AND BE WARNED that this will contain very MATURE contents, both in languages and scenes, not for the faint of heart :D.  This is also only my second hand in writing (first was a one shot also involving Meng and RJ) and first time in writing a full length story, would appreciate your comments and votes.  Please, please leave comments (whether good or bad but hopefully more good than bad...hahaha).  And please bear with me as I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate drafting and publishing on Wattpad specially as I'm mostly writing via my cellphone.  Thank you!!  So here goes.....

                                                                    Where he asked her to stay......

3 years ago.....

It was around 1am, the hospital corridors was quiet.  Maine had been walking around the hospital aimlessly for what seemed like hours.  She's never been one to wait around patiently, specially not at hospitals (who was?).  She excused herself from the rest of her family in the maternity ward waiting room and opted to stretch her legs rather than just wait around.  Her older sister, Nikki, was currently in labor with her first baby and everyone in their family was very excited.  The first grandbaby in the family.  But it had been hours since they first heard the news that Ate Nikki went into labor and was rushed to the hospital.  Her husband, Kuya John, has been with her and would come out every few hours to update the family but it ate at Maine to do nothing and just wait.  Hence, her wondering around the hospital at the early morning hours. 

As Maine turned a corner, she noticed the hospital chapel.  Being after visiting hours and all, the chapel was dark but Maine was hoping that it would at least be open so that she can say a prayer for her Ate Nikki and the baby boy that her family was anxiously been waiting for.  Maine pushed at the chapel door and was relieved to find it unlock.  It was dark inside with only a few flickering candles near the altar.  Maine walked to where the candles was and lit a candle for her sister and soon to be nephew.  As she was saying a silent prayer, she heard a muffled sound.  Thinking that she was all alone in the dark chapel, Maine turned around and gasped.  In the back far corner on the chapel sat a man with his head down.  The man must have heard Maine's gasped as he lifted his head and looked straight at Maine.  It was very dark where the man was sitting with only a faint light from the corridor peeking through one the chapel's windows.  With the light coming from behind the man, Maine couldn't see his face properly, only his silhouette.  But even without seeing the man's face, Maine can tell that the man was very sad.  Maine felt his sadness. 

"Are you alright?" Maine asked in a whisper.

Maine wasn't sure if the man heard her as he only continued to stare at her. 

"I didn't know there was anyone else in here.  I'm sorry if I'm intruding.  I'll just go ahead." Maine started to walk towards the door.

"Stay"

He whispered.  He said it so quietly that Maine wasn't sure if he actually said it or not.  Maine started to walk again towards the door.  As she was passing him by, the man reached out and held onto her wrist.  In any other normal circumstances this would have alarmed Maine and would have had her running for her life.  But the man's hand on her wrist was forceful yet gentle.  A shot of electricity went through Maine and she looked at the man holding on to her.  She still couldn't quite make out his face but it surprised Maine that she was not a bit scared of this stranger that was holding on to her as if his life depended on it.  The man suddenly let go of her wrist and Maine suddenly felt lost.

"I'm sorry that was very rude of me." the man said and bowed his head. 

Maine wasn't sure what to do.  She didn't know this man.  A part of her was telling her to go back to her family in the waiting room.  But a part of her was torn in leaving the man all alone in his sadness.  After a few minutes, Maine sat down with a chair between the man and herself. 

"You can talk to me if you like.  I'm a pretty good listener." Maine wanted to know why he was all alone in the chapel at almost 2 o'clock in the morning looking as if his whole world was collapsing.

In a very low voice the man started talking.

"it's my mom.  She has cancer.  Stage 4.  The doctors are not sure how much longer she has."

With each word he uttered, Maine not only heard his pain but for some odd reason, she felt his pain as well.  Without conscious thought, Maine reached out and took the man's hand.  Lacing her fingers through his, Maine squeezed his hand and tried to convey her sympathy and comfort to the man without saying a word.  Because there was no words that could be said at that moment.  The man looked at their hands locked together for what seemed like an eternity but in actuality was only mere minutes.  He then looked up and looked straight into Maine's eyes.  Maine should have been uncomfortable having a stranger stare at her so intently but she didn't.  In fact it had the opposite effect on her.  She was lost in his black pools.  Maine didn't know how long they sat in the dark chapel, not saying a word, just staring at each other. 

Maine heard a commotion behind her.

Maine's youngest brother, Dean, barged into the chapel door.

"Ate?  There you are!  I've been looking all over this hospital for you.  Ate Nikki had the baby!" he almost shouted enthusiastically.

Dean grew quiet when he saw that Maine wasn't alone.  After a heart beat, the man next to Maine spoke.

"You need to go"

Maine was torn.  She didn't want to leave him but she wanted to see her new nephew.

Dean spoke up, "Ate, let's go na.  Everyone's waiting for you".

Maine turned to look at the man again but he was gone........