Chapter 16: When You Lose

Mia's P.O.V

Everyone was in position and ready for the sound of the whistle.

"We'll see you at the finish line" Mathew confidently states and his partner even snarled at me.

"We're going to win this," I said only for Jerome to hear.

Jerome's body only shook from his laugh and he made sure to hold my legs upright and tighter, in reassurance.

The whistle blew and the game started. There was no way of telling who was the fastest in the first round because they were all fast in my eyes. Then the next line was about the same thing but then when it came to the one before us, Ames team had about two steps or so in the lead.

As soon as we were tapped, I held onto Jerome and to my dear life. For a second, I think I could've fallen or made him lose balance when we took off. I closed my eyes and chanted a prayer in my head.

I only opened my eyes when I heard the final whistle.

"Did we win?" Was the first thing I said and Jerome chuckled?

I turned to my left, looking for Mathew. He couldn't look more defeated but he still wanted to maintain his cool. That it was kind of funny.

"I saw what you guys did" he said like we committed some sort of crime. "You two cheated"

"Just accept it Maddy" I emphasised his stupid little pet name that Megan gave him. "It wasn't cheating"

"It's being smart dumb ass" Jerome finished off for me. And we did a high five, teasing Mathew.

On the other end, Ame walking towards Sean. My eyes darted between the two. I knew exactly why he was heading for Sean. It was because they lost and Sean was one of the final runners. Trouble was definitely going to happen here. I didn't know if I should approach Ames or Sean so that they won't have a confrontation.

When I decided to move, Ames had made it to his destination. That's when I jogged a run towards the pair. Because I could already see Sean trying not to lift a fistAmes'face.

"Are you trying to mess with me?" Ames yelled at Sean.

"Hmpf, I'm not scared of you Anderson" Sean replied coolly with a deathly look.

Before Ames could say or do anything back, I paced myself in between them.

"Stop, it's just a game" I tried to reason with Ames and I tried pushing him away as well.

Ames let out s dry laugh and looked between Sean and I, like he had just realised something. But I still stood in between the boys just in case.

"What? You lost the race on purpose for her?"

Now I was the one in shock, that I turned to face Sean who still had the same poker face. His eyes never leaving Ames with hatred still in them. But did he lose the race on purpose? Well, he could've done it to piss off Ames but for me? No way

"What does it matter to you?" he says instead.

Then I felt Ames step closer and I switched my position. Shane and Dion and the others had just noticed us. So they started coming towards us.

"Ames stop" I urged him backwards.

"You can play your little games with baby Alvarez but remember, you're still mine Mia." That made Sean step closer until Ames broke away. Leaving Sean to stare at me, no. To look at me in confusion and anger.

"You're still mine? What fuck does that mean?" he snaps at me.

Then to add more pressure on me, Dion and the others turned up.