Love Beyond All Things

2ND PLACE IN THE IGOTCANCER CONTEST.

E D I T E D : 11th Dec. 2020

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

No part of this story may be copied, sold or distributed in any form without the prior permission of the author. Infringement of copyright is punishable by law.

©chrisbardot 2021

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

PLAYLIST

PLAYLIST

Photograph - Ed Sheeran

In the stars - Benson Boone

Maybe Next Time - Jamie Miller

Rewrite the Stars - cover by Christina Perri

Visiting Hours - Ed Sheeran

🎵 I RECOMMEND PLAYING THE SONGS TO SET THE MOOD FOR THIS CHAPTER AND THE NEXT. AVAILABLE ON SPOTIFY (profile: Chris Bardot.) 🎵

IT WAS A normal Monday morning; yet it wasn't normal at all.

Not for eighteen year old Arlene Adams, at least.

Arlene made her way through the mass of students, ignoring all the whispers and comments around her. People were pointing fingers at her, some threw pitiful looks, but some were simply indifferent as they buried their noses into the giant textbooks.

It had been three weeks since she suddenly left the lecture midway feeling dizzy and sick. There were rumors circulating that she was suffering from leukemia and had less than a year to live. Arlene had spent three weeks cooped up in her room since then, hardly eating and crying all day.

All her hopes, dreams and ambitions had come crashing down that day in the doctor's cabin. Ten simple words had been her undoing:

I'm sorry, Miss Adams. You have only months to live.

Whoever thought of dying at the young age of eighteen, when people of her age were busy partying and enjoying life?

She sat next to the window and looked out, trying to avoid the curious gazes directed at her. But however hard she tried, she could not ignore a intrigued pair eyes fixed on her. They were most likely the gossipmongers, lurking around for fresh food.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw someone sit next to her and turned. To her amazement it was Russell, the boy she detested ever since the first day.