To Anna With Love

Written for the 600 word Romance Contest.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

©chrisbardot 2021

No part of this work may be copied, translated, distributed or sold without the prior permission of the author. Infringement of copyright is punishable by law.

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

🎵PLAY THE PLAYLIST 'LOVE BEYOND ALL THINGS' TO SET THE MOOD AND ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE OF THIS ONE AS WELL. 🎵

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

DEAR ANNA,

I hope this letter finds you in good health, happiness and prosperity. It has been more than a year since we saw each other and we already know why. You hate me ever since I broke up with you and you have every reason to. But before you crumple this letter and toss it into the fire, I ask you to read it once for old times sake.

I never told you the truth behind my decision to break up. The truth is there never was a girl between us; I never moved to Boston like I said and I never got over you.

I know you have a thousand reasons to hate me. I broke your heart. I shattered your dreams of an 'us' together. I told you I loved Sara and never wanted to see you again. But Anna, every single thing I uttered then had been a lie. And I told it because I knew the truth would break your heart.

Destiny made us meet each other, grow up together and fall in love. But it never wanted us to end up together. You deserve a man who is crazy about you, loves you for the real 'you' and is willing to spend the rest of his life with you. You deserve so much more than a dying man like me. Heaven knows, I would give up every single thing I treasure to be that man, but apparently I am not good enough.

The truth is I am suffering from leukemia, and I don't have much time to live. The day the doctor told me this, was the day I broke up with you. I couldn't stand knowing how much the news would hurt you and so I did what I thought was wise. Little did I know then, that getting over you would be an impossible task. Please don't hate me for what I did, I already hate myself enough.

I wanted you to move on in life and fall in love with the guy destined for you. I wanted you to forget me and find the 'happily ever after' you always dreamed of having.

Selfish as I am, I have to tell you this though. I love you. I loved, love and will always love you until the end of time. Cliché as it seems, I see you in every sunrise and sunset and every breath I take reminds me of our precious time together. If my heart beat until now, you should know that it was only for you.

Sadly though, there was never an 'us' in our story. We were never meant to hold hands, see our children play and grow old together. Destiny is not always the way, we want it to be.

I don't want you to cry over me when I breathe my last. I would rather see you laughing away with your family, than sit miserably at my death bed. If there is one thing I dread, then those are your tears. I could never stand them. Ever.

You deserve happiness and love and there must be someone out there who will provide it to you, perhaps someone better than me.

By the time this letter reaches you I will probably be gone. But remember my love for you will always live on.

You have a wonderful life ahead of you and I want you to live each and every moment of it. You will join me one day, but not before another eighty years.

Wishing you love and happiness with all my soul.

YOURS FOREVER,
LUKE

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛