IX

The moon shadowed Ash and Lily as they strode through the maze, their figures imprinted like black ink on the towering walls that surrounded them. Lily stuck close to Ash, her unease rising the deeper they moved into the maze. The walls towered above them in dark green uniform blocks, branches scattering and weaving themselves overtop so that even the moonlight was fragmented and shattered.

More often than not, the large formidable hedge would groan, its leaves shaking, as if a giant was dragging its feet just around the corner, heavy steps causing the greenery to tremble beneath its weight. Looking behind her, Lily watched as the roots of the large hedge sprung free from the dirt, slithering and rolling against the ground like live electrical wires, following them. As Lily moved through the maze, twisting and turning around the sharp bends, she felt her feet sinking into the earth, the roots lightly gripping her ankles, trying to hold her there. Lily fought the urge to reach forward and hold onto Ash.

But then a tendril slithered out in front of her, twirling itself around her ankle and yanking her to the ground. Her breath was knocked from her lungs in one swift jerk. Ash plunged forward, either oblivious or uncaring. She clawed at the root, ripping it from her skin before rushing to keep up with his retreating figure. The only noise to break the eerie silence was the plant's quiet screams as it recoiled back beneath the large hedge.

"Ash," Lily whispered, reaching forward to grab his attention, her fingers closing on the sleeve of his jacket. She could hear the fear in her voice. "What's happening? Why is the maze moving?" Abruptly, Ash spun around, ripping her hesitant fingers free of his sleeves. She expected another scolding. But instead he gripped onto her, pushing her in front of him, keeping one hand firmly on her shoulder.

"This is not your home," he began, his voice low yet stern. "Forget any of the preconceived notions you once held about how the world works. This world is vast, ancient and utterly distinctive from yours. It was born of imagination, of wicked dreams that are pungent and corrupt, long before your world, your infrastructure, had ever been created. This world is a beast in itself. At times, it has a voice, a heartbeat, and a will one could say. But its desires can be altered and manipulated just like any mind if the force is strong enough. This maze is no different – a labyrinth left from the ancient times of Mab. At the center lies the true soul of Summer, left aft—" Ash's words were cut off as a large dark mass ripped itself through the web of branches above their heads. Lily didn't even have time to react, her eyes wide and terrified as she watched the bulk of fangs and thick coarse fur plunge toward her.

They never reached her.

One moment she was stationary, the next airborne. Her body slammed into a nearby hedge. Branches broken and twisted. Ash had thrown her out of the way, the creature landing on him instead. He didn't have enough time to defend himself. Its jaws clamped brutally onto his left shoulder, tearing into the flesh as if it were butter. A low animalistic rumble echoed from his chest.

Lily watched the scene just as she had done before; like a fool, transfixed and horrified all at once. She didn't notice herself sinking into the earth, the roots and branches softly weaving themselves around her legs, arms, torso. It was only when they pulled tight, dragging her beneath the soil, that she recognized the danger. Lily let out a wail, but was soon silenced as the roots covered her lips, wrapping themselves around her head. She buckled and kicked, trying to free herself from the undergrowth, but it was too strong. She became a living cocoon, slowly sinking beneath the earth.

Lily watched Ash in the distance, unable to scream. He had finally rolled the beast onto its side, trying to pin it to the ground with his injured shoulder while the other hand sought a blade. Lily saw the glint of silver. The monstrous wolf gnashed its teeth, kicking out with its hind legs, claws shredding through Ash's tunic with ease. But before Ash could finish the kill, it had rolled onto him once more, jaws searching for the jugular.