001.0

"But I ain't a faggot," wasn't the response I, or anyone for that matter, was awaiting when I informed the unethical yet prominent legend he tested positive for HIV. The atmosphere thickened as his bright skinned girlfriend dashed out of the room, whimpering heard throughout. He shouted her name, "Tomica! Tomica, wait!" But she never came back.

I surveyed my patient: Eric Wright, or in other eyes, Eazy E. Usually donning a jheri curl, his hair was pressed into about 6 cornrows going down the back of his head. Dark bags visible around his dark brown eyes, the illness taking over him. "The disease can be transmitted through heterosexual intercourse as well, sir." I informed him, he just looked more and more anxious.

Eric stammered with his words, "Well, we gotta start treatment. I gotta get healthy, I got things to do." Never I would have thought I'd witness Eazy E in a very dark state. His hard exterior broke, and I hated that I was the one to break it.

"We can keep you comfortable for about 6 months, I'm sorry, Eric." I rested my hand on his shoulder.

My heart was heavy. In my 4 years of being a HIV and AIDS practitioner, this was my first encounter with a famous patient. Announcing the illness is grueling by itself, but you could tell how regretful Eric was. He was moving too fast, and he knew it. It was just too late to rewind the tape.

His weeps and cries echoed through the pearlescent hospital room, making me look at ground in sorrow. "I'll leave you to process this," I arose from my chair, and my heels clicked to the door. Swiftly moving past the hefty security guard as I exited.

I witnessed Dj Yella and Mc Ren coming through the hospital's entrance as I passed by through the halls. My mind trailed off to wonder about the current conflict they had within their group.I wouldn't lie, N.W.A was one of the artists that sat at the top of my playlist. They're the most famous group out right now, anyone could keep up with what they're up to.

Returning to my office in the back of the building, I found one of my nurses, Khadijah, sitting in front of my desk. "Dee, what's up?" I pushed against my door, silencing all the outside noises.

"So what happened? How'd he react?" She asked questions as if she was some curious little child. Being an N.W.A fan like myself, she was concerned.

I sat down my clipboard and sat at my desk, "At first, he was in disbelief, like anyone would be. I told him we ran the test 5 times, and his TCO2 levels are abnormal. Then he assumes that HIV can only be spread through males, I denied that too. I felt so bad, Dee, he started crying about how he had plans to do stuff, and whatnot. Shit's crazy," I rubbed my temples with my fingers.

"Well, technically it's not anyone's fault but his own. Fame got to him, he was moving too fast." Khadijah was being brutally honest, yet I had to agree.

I got back up, "Yeah, well, we have more tests to run. We gotta start treatment for him asap. They still got his blood samples?" She just simply nodded and followed me out the office, making our way to the analyzation center. It wasn't too far from my office. Pushing the two doors open, I was disappointed at the sight. They weren't even paying attention to the blood tests, all of them were crowed at the dissection table located in the back.

"What the hell? Y'all know y'all have somethin' to do right?" I strutted to where they were at. I was confused to why they were surveying a blood sample and some test results. "Kuneka, you won't believe this," one of them shrieked, "that child, who had AIDS, he's cured!"

Coming closer, the test results mirrored their words. Previous results showcased his status as ill. The child's most recent test says much otherwise; ill does not show up anymore. But how?

"This can't be right, we gave him the regular treatment, how is he cured? Run the test again." I rambled in disbelief.

"We did the test 10 times! It's a miracle, doc." Another lab worker smiled.

"For future reference, what does this mean?" Khadijah asked, eyes darting between me and the workers.

"Didn't you just get a new patient? Doctor K, you could use the same treatment for them!" Someone said.

I shook my head frantically, "Slow down. We cured a child. Who had AIDS My most recent patient has HIV, and is a grown man, with about 6 months to live. With his TCO2 levels, he'll be lucky enough to live for a month. We can't just act like we have a cure, when really we don't. You know what, the treatment for the little boy, get that in for me by tomorrow. I have to look at it." Beeping was heard at the front of the room, meaning Eric's tests were done.

"Y'all can go home, I need to see if Eric is eligible for the ART treatment." I brushed them off, they all piled out, leaving me alone with the beeping machine.

I removed the empty test tube from the machine and obtained the papers from the printer. Since there was no more blood, this indicated that antiretroviral therapy was the designated regime for Eric. This wouldn't guarantee getting rid of his HIV in one whole, but it would slow the progression towards full blown AIDS. He would also live longer if we acted fast.

I proceeded out the door and through the lengthy halls to Eric's hospital room. The day was nearing an end, so it was rather quiet through the hospital at this time. Before I came within reach of the door handle, I stopped as I heard faint voices.

"But I wanna make this right, I can't lose you, or my child." A weak voice laced with sorrow was heard, whom I presumed was Eric.

Sniffling and weeping could be heard as well, "E I just can't have this, it's just too much. I can't marry you, not like this. Not when me and my child could possibly be infected too."

That was kind of messed up, being in a relationship with someone that's HIV positive was alot by itself. But the least you could do was stay with them for moral support, Eric was helpless.

I didn't want to intrude on their moment; so I left. I could talk to Eric in the morning.
-
do you guys like it so far? i appreciate feedback, votes, etc. :)