Chapter 17 - Ships and Slights

‘Beth?’ Gwaine asked. ‘You know this place?’

‘This is Westeros. This is Winterfell. This is Game of Thrones country. And this is complete madness.’

‘It is dangerous?’

‘Highly. But it means that the dwarf, I mean, High Lord Baldol . . . his name here is Tyrion Lannister.’

‘You know him, my lady?’

‘I know OF him. There are . . . stories of him in my world. Is this the same kind of map that we had before, Gimli?’

‘Yes.’

‘So these are my footprints? And these are . . .?’

‘Mine,’ said Gwaine with some relief. ‘But not yet. They’re still hollow.’

‘I will give you letters of introduction, and assist you in whatever way I can, my lady.’

‘Thank you Gimli,’ and I gave the dwarf a hug. He pretended to resist, but I saw the flush on his already rosy cheeks and he stroked his toe along the ground as he pretended not to care.

‘Gwaine, I need a bit of time on my own.’

‘You sure, sweetheart?’

‘Yes, I’ll see you later.’

I walked down through the town, heading towards the river, avoiding men by disguising my face with a scarf. I needed to think. This was likely to be the most dangerous thing I had ever done, going to Winterfell. But I couldn’t stay like this. In hiding.

I crossed the plain down to the river and found a tree branch to sit on. It was a simple decision, on to Winterfell to find Tyrion Lannister, and probably end up gutted like a fish, or living with the bracelet. Neither of them appealed at all. But the map was already showing the route and I wasn’t sure I could live with this bracelet, so Grumpy Tyrion it would have to be, and at least Gwaine would be with me.

Decision made, I stayed a little longer at the peaceful riverside and them climbed back towards the castle, following a track not far from the one when I’d last returned to Camelot. I looked up at its towers. Even if I went back to my old world, this was definitely my home now, and the thought reassured me as I entered the town gates.

‘Lady Beth? Lady Beth!’ I turned to see Molly running to catch me up.

‘Hello Molly, nice to see you again.’

‘Please, my lady, may I speak with you.’ She glanced around. ‘But not here.’

‘Of course. And please, just call me Beth.’

 She led me into a courtyard. ‘My lady, you are going to marry Sir Gwaine?’

‘That’s right, yes.’

‘Then you should have this.’

‘What is it?’

‘It’s something he gave me for safekeeping. A long time ago. But I think that you should have it,’ and she handed me a small package.

I was curious. ‘Molly, was there an . . . understanding between you and Gwaine?’

‘Oh goodness no, my lady. He always said he would never marry. You must be very special if he has changed his mind on that.’

‘So what is this?’

‘It was very special to him, but he could not bear to look upon it. Keep it safe. And good luck. Gwaine is a good man. The best I’ve known. And I’ve known a good many.’