Chapter 27 - Lawns and Dawns

Gandalf sat me down on the bed next to him. ‘What is it, Beth?’

‘It’s just that Gwaine . . . he isn’t real, is he?’

‘But what about me, Beth? Am I not real as well? And yet I’m sitting here talking to you.’

‘And that’s so confusing and now I don’t know what to do!’

‘I understand, Beth,’ he said. ‘But Gwaine is real. Your life here is real. Your healing powers are real. Just because there has been a crossover between the worlds doesn’t mean that they’re not real, just that you don’t understand them. But the choice is yours. If you want me to, I can try to explain to Gwaine . . .’

‘No!’ The thought of breaking Gwaine’s heart was too unbearable to even contemplate. Yes, he had been a fictional character in my old world, but in this world, he was brave and strong and handsome and as real as I was. After all, to him, I was the unreal one. And he was prepared to marry me.

‘Beth?’

‘I’m . . . I’m fine now. I’m ready.’ And I stood up and smiled at him, as sure now as I had been unsure a moment ago.

I walked down the aisle in the throne room leaning on Gandalf’s arm, acknowledging the guests who bowed or curtsied as I passed. The white flowing gossamer dress was overlaid by a gold-stitched burgundy cloak so fine it was almost weightless, a single gold band around my head, loaned to me by Gwen. Gwaine was waiting for me, biting his lip nervously, Percival by his side, both wearing their formal Camelot Knight robes and cloaks. Merlin was conducting the service, clad in blue, Mordred assisting. Even Aithusa had been allowed in to the great hall, in Katy’s care, a burgundy collar round her pale neck. She let out a mournful cry of welcome as I approached and puffed a smoke ring as I smiled over at her.

Once I reached the head of the aisle and Gandalf handed me over to Gwaine, I had eyes for no one else. I repeated my vows, speaking them directly to Gwaine who listened to my promise intently, and in turn I accepted his to love, honour and cherish me to the end of our days as he slipped a gold ring onto my finger. And then Merlin pronounced us man and wife, and I promptly burst into tears, much to everyone’s amusement. Gwaine wiped the traces from my cheek and smiled at me.

‘I hope that’s the last time I ever make you cry,’ he said, and then kissed me.

In the courtyard, it was Katy who caught the bouquet, grinning up at both Merlin and Mordred. Aithusa flew a circuit of honour around the castle, trailing rose petals from a basket attached to her back. We feasted well into the night, with music and dancing until, exhausted, I slipped away quietly with Gwaine.

‘You know you’ve promised to love me to the end of our days,’ he said, holding me close in our room. I nodded. ‘I never want you to regret that promise. Ever.’

We honeymooned in Rivendell, accompanying Elrond, Legolas, Arwen, Aragorn, Gimli, Gandalf and the hobbits as they returned there to continue the quest. Gwaine and I stayed to see them depart, Sir Leon taking the place of Boromir and committing Camelot’s support to the quest. It seemed a good solution as Leon had no interest in the ring’s power, although I sincerely hoped he would not suffer the same fate as Boromir had, and it made me feel slightly less bad that I had left Boromir with Charmina. Although the news on that was that not only was he  surviving, he was actually thriving and was entirely content.

It was a tearful farewell when the fellowship of the ring departed from Rivendell, Gwaine obviously very tempted to join them. Once the ring questers had gone, Rivendell became a haven of tranquillity, one which was very hard to leave. We spent the sunlit days strolling on the lawns and resting by the waterfalls, and the evenings feasting with the Elves and sharing special times times together. But we eventually returned to Camelot and to our new lives.

‘I still don’t understand why Sir Leon didn’t become enchanted with me while I had on the bangle,’ I said to Gwaine as we walked our horses home.

‘Because he’s already found his one true love?’ he suggested.

‘Has he? Who? Anyone I know?’

He was silent for a while. ‘He confided in me and I trust you with this secret, Beth.’

‘I would say nothing. So it’s someone I know?’

‘It is the Queen.’

‘Gwen? But . . .?’

‘Exactly. No one must ever know. This is why he has gone on the quest to destroy the ring, because she is happily married to Arthur.’

‘Awww, that’s lovely!’

‘Yes, he’s risking his life because he cannot be with the one he loves.’

I trotted up my pony next to Gwaine’s. ‘I guess we’re lucky then.’

‘Luck had nothing to do with it. I worked hard to make you mine.’

‘YOU worked hard? All you did was swish your hair!’

‘Do you not understand how difficult that is, my lady?’

I was laughing so that he reigned in his horse and drew mine to a halt. ‘Beth, I don’t know what fate brought you into my life, but it is my life’s ambition to keep you by my side and happy.’

‘Race you to Camelot then, my lord. See if you can keep me by your side now!’

Once in our rooms in Camelot, we settled back into our lives in the castle.

‘Hey you,’ I said one evening, about a week after we’d been back, when I found Gwaine looking at his sister’s locket. ‘You know I’ll always love you.’

‘You’d better.’

‘And I won’t ever leave you. Especially if you take me on that quest you were discussing with Leon in Rivendell. The one to find out who gave the bracelet to your sister.’

‘Oh. So you know about that?’

‘Know. Have packed. Am ready to leave when you are. A quest is a quest, after all.’

‘Leon said you’d do this.’

‘Leon is a very astute man. So I’m coming with you?’

‘No. Absolutely not.’

‘Good. We’ll leave at dawn, then. But better make it a Camelot dawn, I have plans for you tonight.’

THE END