chapter 2

I turned around and saw Aaron. I was surprised to see him. He was our friend but Chaz's best friend. He moved out of town two years ago. He was Irelene's boyfriend and they broke up before he left because they decided they couldn't handle long distance relationship. We, Aaron and I, were friends but not too close. Sam is my best friend, always has been. He is tall, dark and handsome with black messy hair and dark brown eyes. His parents are Indian but he was born and lived his whole life here, in San Francisco. His parents treat me like their own daughter. Then there is Jennifer, my very close friend next to Sam. Sam and Jen are dating. She is very beautiful with big grey eyes. She is a bit shorter than me but her looks are worth envying. Irelene and Chaz are our good friends. Irelene has been with us for three years and within her first year with us Aaron proposed to her. However, their relation lasted only for a year.

"Aaron! It has been a while," I said smiling at him and he smiled back in response.

"Hey Kayla," he grinned and hugged me. I wasn't expecting that but I hugged him back anyway.

It was good to see him again. He had grown taller in two years. He was the most handsome guy in our group. He was tall back then and now even taller, his eyes and hair were light brown. His smile was cute and whenever he smiled a small dimple appeared on his left cheek. Even though we weren't that close but I really missed him.

"You have grown taller Aaron," I said smiling up at him.

"Yeah? I thought you have becoming shorter," he said while pretending to think and I punched his arm in return, earning myself a wink from him.

"I missed you," he said looking me in the eyes and then quickly added, "I missed you all."

"We missed you too. Welcome back," I said as we walked into the class. Everyone's surprise on seeing Aaron there, among them was evident on their faces. He was the heartthrob of our school. Everyone greeted him and he greeted them back. Girls were staring at him and some were even giving him flirty looks and he just smirked. We placed our books on the table and sat on the bench at the end of the class.

"So where are the others?" He asked.

"I don't know. I guess I'm early."

"Yeah early, and that too Miss Kayla Mathews? Good one," he teased me giving me a thumbs-up on the last part. I'm the laziest person of our group. I pouted and he laughed.

"But seriously where are others? They are always here before me," I said wondering to myself. I was starting to get a bit worried. "I should call them."

"Good idea and don't tell them I'm back. I want to surprise them."

"Yes, someone will be quite surprised." I winked at him and he understood who I meant. A slight blush greeted his face. It felt good talking to him. I felt comfortable around him. We never used to be like this before; making fun of each other, teasing each other.

"How is she?" He asked going red in the face.

I laughed and said, "she is good. How have you been? Sorry I forgot to ask." I added sheepishly.

He laughed. "I've been good but now I feel better after being back. I missed you guys. School there was good but without you guys, not as good. Dad got transferred back. It was last minute so I returned with him. Mom, Suzy and Amy are still back there. They'll be coming back after few days and that is all me. Tell me about you."

"I'm same as before, same old Kayla. I mean school, home, everything. Not much has changed since you left."

He nodded then said, "So I guess you haven't told Chaz about your feelings for him yet?" I was surprised and shocked at the same time.

"You know?" I asked with wide eyes. He chuckled and it was like a sweet melody.

"We all know. Irelene told me just after a week she moved here. It is obvious. Your eyes say it all." I blushed at the comment and he smirked.

"No I haven't told him and I don't think I can. Ever," I said blushing.

Right at that moment I heard laughter and I knew who it was.

"Sam," we said together.

Sam entered the class with Chaz. They saw me and waved. I waved back and immediately their eyes fell on Aaron, who was smiling.

"Aaron!" They shouted together and came rushing towards us and bear hugged him.

"Let me breathe guys." They finally let go of him.

"Man! When did you return?" Chaz asked him.

"Yesterday morning."

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming when I called you two days ago?" Sam asked.

"I wanted to give you guys a surprise." They hugged again and I joined them too.

"We missed you so bad," Chaz told him.

Next to me Aaron was Sam's best friend. They were more like brothers. All three of them were in basketball team. Sam and Chaz sat in front of us.

"Where were you guys?"

"Sam was sleeping when I reached his house so I had to wait for him till he got ready," Chaz said rolling his eyes at Sam who winked at me. Chaz saw him winking and punched his arm. "You moron, even Kayla came here before you." We all laughed.

"Where are Jen and Irelene?" I asked.

"Jen is not feeling well and Irelene is on her way. Her car broke down," Sam answered.

"Oh. What happened to Jen?" I asked.

"She was out yesterday with her family in rain and caught cold." I nodded.

The teacher finally came into class. Aaron introduced himself to the teacher and took his seat beside me again. The class continued for forty-five minutes and the bell finally rang. We grabbed our books and went out of the class. As we were walking towards Arts class Aaron stopped suddenly.

"Irelene."

We all looked at Irelene who had spotted us and was looking at Aaron. A smile slowly formed on Aaron's lips as he walked towards her. She smiled shyly and glanced in Chaz's direction for a brief second of time. I think I may have imagined that. Aaron hugged her. I don't know why but I felt as if she wasn't really happy that he was back. We entered our Arts class. I sat with Sam, Aaron with Irelene and Chaz was sitting between our two tables alone. He was looking at Aaron and Irelene. I nudged Sam with my elbow.

"Hmm?"

"Don't you think Irelene is behaving a little weird?" I asked looking at her.

He rolled his eyes. "C'mon Kayla her ex-boyfriend is back. How do you think she will behave?" He asked raising his eyebrows.

"I guess you are right. Ignore me."

I could not help but feel uneasy about the way Chaz was looking at them. We sat together at lunch, talked about Aaron and asked him lot of questions.

The final bell rang and we all moved to the parking lot.

"I should go. See you guys tomorrow," I said making my way towards the exit.

"Wait," I looked back, it was Aaron.

"Yeah?"

"We will give you a ride," he said looking at others. Only Chaz had brought his car. Since Irelene's car had broken down she was also waiting for them to drop her. A wicked smile came on Aaron's lips and he looked at me then turned to Chaz.

"Chaz, why don't you drop Kayla home and I will take Irelene and Sam?" Chaz looked at me, I smiled, and then at Irelene, she looked down. Aaron winked at me while getting into his car and I smiled at him. Irelene and Sam bade us goodbye and they left.