Chapter XVI

The second I step out of the door to my mothers house I regret my dress. The wind is blowing and it isn't as warm as I had been hoping it would be. My legs and arms immediately growing goose bumps. A jacket wouldn't have been a bad idea either.

"I hope you don't mind but I already picked the place." Mr. Payne says, keeping a steady pace next to me. I nod along, figuring he had somewhere in  mind anyway. I look up, seeing Harrison waiting with the door opened for the two of us. I almost with we wouldn't go in his private car. The night I threw up in it is all that I can ever think about when I'm in it. A memory that I am not entirely fond of.

"Actually, could we take my car. I'd probably be more comfortable that way." I tell him honestly, stopping my walk alongside him. Hopefully, the familiarity of my mothers car will relax me. It's at least worth a shot if it means making the rest of the night easier for me.

He hesitates, his eyes roam my face. If he is looking for an answer, I'm not so sure he will find it. "Okay. I think we can manage that. I'm going to go and talk to Harrison, why don't you start the car?" He suggests and leaves before I can say a word to him. Ignoring his abrupt departure, I turn on my feet heading back to the house. I need to go in and get the keys to my mothers car.

When I go inside I purposely avoid Genevieve and my mother whose voices are coning from the kitchen. I don't want to explain to Genevieve why it seems like I'm going on a date with my boss, especially after she already thought I was dating him. I still can't wrap my head around the idea of that. The thought actually brings me chills. Being sure to keep quiet I grab my mothers keys and immediately dart out of the house, still trying to be stealthy about it. I'll need to tell her that I toon her car, I figure I will just text her. Since Sam is here, he can drive her and Genevieve to meet up with me later.

Mr. Payne is still talking to Harrison when I get outside. I don't bother going down to listen in on their conversation and decide to go straight for the car. That's what Mr. Payne told me to do anyways. I hit the small button on the key fob, the car unlocks and the lights flash. I'm in a bit of a hurry, only because I can't seem to stops shivering. I wasn't expecting it to be so cold. There is still time for me to go in and change but when Mr. Payne turns away from Harrison and begins to walk towards me and the car I decide against it.

I yank open the door and get in, quickly putting the keys in the ignition and turning the car on, the heat that comes from the vents is a sigh of relief. Instead if going to the passengers door, Mr. Payne stands outside of mine and taps at the window. I guess that is my cue to roll the window down.

"Would you mind if I drove, I want where we are going to be a surprise." He smiles. I consider saying no, but with him being so nice I'm not about to put an end to it.

"Sure." I nod, agreeing to let him drive. It sort of defeats the purpose of me wanting to take my mothers car in the first place, with me not driving and all. But I guess it is better than him having a personal driver take us everywhere. Since he has a personal driver, a part of me is surprised that he can even drive.

Instead of getting out I carefully crawl over the center console, conscious about what my dress is showing and trying to hide it I relentlessly pull it down. When I manage to take a seat in the passengers chair Mr. Payne opens the door and gets in. I watch as he puts his seatbelt on and shifts the cars gears so we can begin our journey to wherever.

I find it peculiar but I can't manage to take my eyes off of him. I drop my gaze to his attire, noticing for the first time ever how casual he looks. A pair of dark jeans cover his legs while a dark green v-neck tee encloses his torso. It's such a simple and contemporary look but he makes it look like so much more. I'm beginning to believe that he makes everything look like so much more.