Chapter XX

The rest of the week flew by quickly, and things have finally begun to look up for me. I could stand to be around Mr. Payne without feeling anxiety, and never once has he tried to bring up the night at the club. Victoria is finally starting to accustom to me. We've eaten lunch together for the last few days this week and we really hit it off too. It turns out we both like the same bands, and we have been gushing about The Weekend's new album that came out. We both were surprised by how good it actually was.

The only downside to the week is that my sister had to go home today while I was at work. She apparently has to return down in Florida to take a final for her English class tomorrow. Since her semester is almost over, I'm wondering if she will be coming home for the summer or staying down in Florida like she did last year. Something tells me that if she keeps the boyfriend she has now, she will be staying there.

It's Friday and I cannot wait for the weekend. I scheduled a few apartment tours to take tomorrow so that I can work on getting out of my mom's house in the suburbs, and into the city. Living closer to work will make things so much easier for me. I'll live close to a starbucks to get coffee in the morning, I'll be closer to Mr. Payne in case an emergency comes up, and I won't need to drive since they will all be within walking distance. That will postpone my thoughts on buying a car then too, since it won't be as necessary as it is right now.

I finish writing in Mr. Payne's schedule for the next month into the little agenda book that I have, assuring that I have times and places all recorded. I can't believe that my first week here is almost over. It feels like only yesterday was my first day, as I hopelessly fought off the reporters and magazine writers. So much has happened in this one week that I regret, so many interactions, but the feeling of contempt and excitement coursing through my body right now, is proving that it has all been worth it.

I hear Victoria groan as she hangs up the phone, leaning back in her chair. Her hands go to her temples, I'm guessing whoever that was just annoyed her to no end. I shuffle the pile of papers that was Mr. Payme's schedule and drop it into the trashcan, feeling overly accomplished.

"Everything alright?" I ask her as she sits, frozen in the same position and deep in thought.

"I'm just tired of dealing with morons." She says with a smirk, straigtening up in her chair.

"Another confused person calling the wrong number?" I ask knowing that she gets tons of calls from people who think that we are a chinese takeout restaurant. It's only ridiculous when the people argue after you tell them that this isn't "The Lotus Hibachi" and ask what the real number is or where it is located.

"No, that was my boyfriend." She says leaning forward onto her desk, looking at something on her computer. I didn't know she had a boyfriend, since we have only been getting to know each other in the past few days. I find it odd that she thinks he is stupid yet she is still dating him.

"And he's a moron?" I raise an eyebrow, turning my chair towards her to talk.

"Completely." She laughs, glancing over to me with amusement in her green eyes.

"Then why are you dating him?"

"You can't ask me, or judge me; until you have seen what he looks like." She says immediately moving to get her phone from it's stand on her desk. She taps the screen a few times before she turns it in my direction. There is a picture of a guy, a really attractive one at that. He has bright blue eyes, and a stunning jaw line that could probably cut glass. "He's a model if you can't tell." She says, eyeing my reaction. I honestly think I may be drooling.

"I can tell. He's certainly got the looks." I tell her, amused that she is only dating him for his looks. That could be considered shallow, but if I were in her position, I'm not sure I would do anything much different. If I had the oppurtunity to date a male model and he acted like a child or just wasn't bright in general, I'd still probably go after him.

"And the package. If you know what I mean." She laughs, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. I join her, our laughter floating in the room around us. I try to contain myself when my phone begins to ring. Mr. Payne flashes on the screen and I decide that I ha e to pick it up. I don't want to, because I could sit and gossip with Victoria all day. But unfortunately, I have a job to do.

"Hello?" I answer, hoping he isn't calling to say he needs me. I want to sit here at my desk for the last hour of work before I go home.

My mother told me last night that if I was looking at apartments this weekend, I have to begin packing up my things so I can be ready to move out. Even though there is a chance that I may not like any of the apartments that I see, she still wants me to pack. "Y'know, just in case." Is what she had said. To be homest, I like the idea of moving out this weekend and leaving her house finally. It's not that I don't love her, it's just that I have been mooching off of her long enough and it's time I take care of myself. I believe it is the next step that I need to take to become more independent and self reliant.

"Ms. Fletcher, I have a meeting for the rest of the afternoon. I wanted to let you know that you can leave early if you'd like. I believe that having you there is unnecessary." He says and clears his throat at the end. Something in his voice sounds so off. His words are clipped amd his tone is strained.

"Are you alright? You sound a little. . . off." I might as well bring it up, just in case he is having a serious issue, or one that I can help him with anyway.

"I'm fine, just a bit under the weather. Jist one more meeting and I'm done fir the weekend. As I said, you may leave early. I will see you Monday morning." He hangs up before I can say goodbye. I hang up the phone, my hand lingering on it as I debate going back to his office. I want to make sure he is okay, because he certainly doesn't sound like it. But at the same time I don't want him to yell at me for coming back when he told me to leave.

"What's up with him?" Victoria asks, nodding towards the phone.

"I think he just dismissed me." There is no think, he did just dismiss me.

"Girl, then why are you still here? Get up and go start your weekend." She says enthusiastically. "I'm probably going to head out early too, as soon as I update the website." She says and returns to her computer, typing away at the keyboard. I nod and stand up, collecting my things. I shove the little agenda book into my purse. Not only am I going to keep track of what Liam has to do, but I need to begin keeping track of what I have to do too. That way I know when I am and am not available for last minute appointments and meetings for Liam.

It only took a week but I think I am starting to get the hang of this assistant stuff, and I couldn't be any more relieved. I wave to Victoria as I leave towards the elevator. Freedom is only an elevator ride away. I hit the button, waiting for the doors to slide open. I drape my Cardigan that I had worn this morning over my arm. I took it off around lunchtime, as I had begun to overheat. The building was especially warm today, as opposed to it being cold like every other day. Finally, the silver doors slide open and I step on. As soon as they close behind me, I feel even more calm than usual. My stress free weekend begins now.

A/N: heyyyo! I'm so excited because the story has hit 1K reads and that is always a milestone. Also, I posted along with this, an updated map for this story! Look how our tiny family is growing!! It's awesome! Did you see your country? The majority is from the U.S. which is where I am from :) but to those of you who aren't, I know you are out there! (Is that creepy of me to say?). Also, I have a proposal. If we can get this story to 200 votes I will do an update assoon as I notice that it is at 200. Even if that means like, five minutes from now. Sound good? Maybe? I don't know, it's up to you :) Also, I don't know if any of you have listened tomThe Weekend's Album, but it is AMAZING! I went to Target and bought it, unsure if I would like any let alone one of the songs on it. But Imactually LOVE IT! I thought since I liked it so much, it could make an appearance in this chapter :) I definitely reccomend it if you liked his songs Earned It, The Hills, or In The Night!

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment because I love everyone who does, the support is really reassuring :)

Until next time my lovelies :) -Rachel Xx