The Note

The elevator door opened and Frankie walked into the room.

"Where have you been?  What took you so long?" Tony quizzed as soon as he walked in. "Where's the food, that you were meant to be getting?"

"Tony, forget the food.  I got something better" Frankie replied quickly. "I got him.  I really got him.  I think I killed him.  I'm not sure"

"Okay, breathe.  What are you talking about?"

"The man in the mask" he was practically jumping up and down with excitement.

Foggy lifted his head suddenly.  He wasn't sure if he had heard the conversation correctly but he had definitely heard Frankie say man in the mask.  This excuse of a human being was acting like a kid in a candy store boasting that he had hurt his best friend.  Beads of sweat appeared on Foggy's forehead and he could feel his temper rising.

"Calm down Frankie.  Start from the beginning" Tony said pulling up a chair and lighting a cigarette

"I went to the shop like you told me to.  I got the money from the cashier and the masked idiot turned up.  He was not in a good mood"

"Is that how you got that bloody lip?"

"Yeah" he said wiping away the blood with his hand.  "He never saw my knife Tony, I cut him across his side.  I cut him pretty deep and hit him over the head.  He never saw it coming.  Next minute he's passed out on the floor.  He crashed into a shop display he didn't get back up I left him bleeding out"

Foggy started to get very annoyed.  He wriggled in the chair to try loosen his bonds behind his back.  He hadn't realised how loud he was.

"What's wrong with you?" Tony asked

"I'm just trying to get the feeling back in my arms" he lied

"Stop fidgeting you'll only make them tighter" Frankie added

"No.  There's something else" Tony interrupted.  "You reacted when we were talking about the masked vigilante.  Is he a friend of yours?"

"He's all of Hell's Kitchen's friend" Foggy replied trying not to sound emotional

"Well if you thought he was coming to save you, you can forget that idea.  Frankie here has sorted that"

Foggy started to sweat again and went back to struggling with his bonds.

********************

Matt woke up in his bed.  He had stumbled home from the store holding on to his side. He patched himself up and had fallen onto the softness of his own mattress.  He resisted the urge to take some pain relief.  The pain in his side really ached but he wanted to keep his head clear.  He even thought about ringing Claire but then felt guilty for phoning her and asking to come over at such a late hour of the night for something so small.  He had patched himself up so many times before he had ever met her, he was not going to start calling her over every little thing.  He thought about their last conversation together.  She had discussed martyrs and how they ended up bloody and alone.  At the time it had frustrated Matt, he didn't want to be compared to a martyr all he was trying to do was look after his city.  Even now thinking of that conversation he tutted and still agreed how ridiculous it had sounded.

Trying not to turn on his side, he lay on his back thinking.  Why had the man in shop been at Foggy's apartment?  What did he want with Foggy, and why was he responsible for Foggy's sudden disappearance?  These questions kept going around and around in his head over and over again.  His mind was just running on over drive, he just wanted to sleep.  He got more agitated, his side ached and he felt really tired.  He tried to clear his mind and eventually sleep did follow.