The Exchange

The brief case sat on Karen's desk.  Matt was in his own office.  He didn't want to think about the money sitting out there, waiting to be handed over.   He knew deep down the money wouldn't bring Foggy back but he as Matt Murdock he had to keep the pretense up especially in front of Karen.  He had told her he had gotten a loan from his bank and was going to follow the demands of the kidnappers.  She wasn't too pleased but had accepted his decision.  They didn't know when the call was going to come through but the wait was endless.  Neither could concentrate, Karen was up and down from her desk like a yo-yo.  Matt had his braille machine out and as his fingers glided over the keys nothing was going into his head.  He had read the same paragraph three times but had no idea what was happening.  The phone finally rang making them both jump.

"Answer the phone Karen" Matt said standing at his office door.

"Yes.  Shit of course" she picked up the phone.  "Nelson and Murdock Attorneys at Law, Karen speaking"

The voice was rough on the other end of the line

"I want to speak to Murdock"

"It's him" she whispered

"Put him on speaker" Matt replied sitting on the corner of Karen's desk

"Matthew Murdock speaking"

"Murdock.  Do you have the money?"

"I might have, then again I might not" he pouted and shrugged his shoulders

"Don't get smart asshole"

"I want to talk to Foggy before there's any meeting of any kind and exchanging of money"

"That's not possible"

"Let me know if Foggy is still alive or there's no deal" he repeated sounding irritated.  "I want to talk to him"

"Hey" Matt and Karen heard the voice say to someone else in the background.  "Is he awake?"

Matt gripped Karen's desk his knuckles getting whiter.  Karen took an intake of breath.  Matt put his hand out to Karen and she took it gently.  He squeezed it slightly to say it will be okay.  A second later a groggy voice came to the phone line.

"Matt" Foggy coughed. "Matt.  Are you there?"

"Foggy, Jesus Foggy.  I'm here.  Are you okay?  Have they hurt you?"

"Matt, I'm a bit sore but I will be alright.  You know me.  You should have seen the other guy" he laughed but coughed at the same time.  "How's Karen?  Is she there?"

"I'm here Foggy" Karen replied tears falling on to her cheek.  "It's so good to hear your voice"

"You too Karen" he replied.  "Karen, I" but that was all he could say before the line went dead.

"Foggy, Foggy" Karen said

"Enough of the pleasantries.  Murdock you have half an hour.  Take me off speaker and I'll give you an address to make the exchange"

Matt took the receiver, placed the phone to his ear and pressed a button on the phone so Karen couldn't hear the rest of the conversation.

"Hmm.  Okay.  I'll be there" he hung up the phone

"You are not going by yourself" Karen said as soon as Matt hung up the phone.

"I have to Karen, if I don't then Foggy is a dead man.  I can't and I won't live with that on my conscience.  He's depending on us.  Karen, I promise I'll be safe.  I won't do anything stupid I promise"

"You already are doing something stupid" her voice raising slightly.  "Matt, do they even know you are blind?"

"I presume they do"