Chapter 9: Worst Message Ever

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

I’ve been glaring at the wall clock of our room for 40 minutes now. Not because I am excited to have lunch, but because I want to stop the time. But, my intense staring at the clock did not help at all. It actually is moving fast. I don’t want to go have lunch, well, just not today. Matt will sure bug me now about the fault he did to me. Then, the worst thing that could happen just occurred, the bell rang.

The students rushed out of the room into the cafeteria. I sighed. Kelly went to my desk and wait for me to be ready. She noticed something’s wrong that she creased her forehead as she saw it.

“What’s the matter Bessie?” she asked and her voice is full with concern.

“You know, Matt wants to talk to me now.” I grabbed my bag and stood up.

“So? Isn’t it great? You can fix things with him now?” Kelly led me out to the halls.

“I don’t know, I just don’t feel great about it. It’s not okay you know. I have feelings, and I could be hurt and I am really hurt.”

“I know Bessie, I didn’t expect Matt to do that. Anyway how’s with Geoff, the mystery texter?” She asked and smiled at me like she’s so excited to know about it. Of course, I told her, and nobody else.

“The last time he texted me is on Saturday evening, then no more.” I sighed

“Wew, seems like the guys in your life is giving you a hard time.” She mocked frustration.

Just then, Belinda walked out of nowhere and is heading opposite our direction. She glanced at me and when I noticed her, she stopped and is about to say something but I ignored her. We walked towards the cafeteria and sat at our usual table where Marian and our other friend Aleah sat now.

I don’t really want to talk to her right now. Actually, not anymore since that happened. The girls stood up and so did I to grab our lunch. The line is just short so we’re done immediately. Just then, I noticed that Matt is sitting on our table. I panicked, but Bessie held my hand and squeezed it a bit just for me to stop panicking.

Matt glanced at me and is about to say something but I cut him.

“Matt, why don’t you grab your lunch first?” I asked and gave him the look that you should really be.

He stood up, said nothing and went to the line. They all looked at me and I gave another sigh. I am not ready to do this.

“I don’t know why you should give Matt another chance, that’s something that shouldn’t be forgiven.” Aleah blurted to me as she popped a piece of French fries to her mouth.

“She’s absolutely right. If he’s done it once, he can definitely do it again. I mean, he’s a guy you know.” Marian added up.

“Girls, that’s not the right thing to do, let’s hear Matt first then, Bessie decides what to do. Okay?” Kelly butted in.

“But, there’s no excuse to what he did. There’s nothing to explain about it. What’s done is done.” Marian debated to Kelly and she really is serious about this.

Matt returned to the table and sat next to me. Oh gosh, my friends are literally sending him death glares. So did Kelly, where did the ‘hear him out first’ go?

Marian and Aleah started to chat about something I couldn’t catch. Kelly just observes Matt as he eats and occasionally looks at me. And all I did is eat my own food.

I finished my meal and I saw through my peripheral vision that Matt immediately looked at me. I didn’t budge and I just stared at my empty tray.

“Maieve, can we talk now?” he touched my shoulder and I snapped to look at him. My friends stopped what they’re doing and looked at Matt.