Chapter 3: Conversing In Potions

September, 1943

Tom laid on his bed staring up at the ceiling, very much in deep thought. Before today, all that ever occupied his mind were all the Horcruxes he planned to make. He- well, technically it was the basilisk- already murdered the ugly, moaning Ravenclaw girl back in June. All he had to do now was find an object plenty sufficient to place part of his soul into. And Tom had an object that suited that category laying on top of his desk.

His diary.

It contained every detail of his plan and every dark notion that he's had since his first year, when he received it for Christmas. The diary was his very first Christmas present, given to him by the one person who shared the center of Tom's focus right now, when his Horcruxes should have been his number one priority.

Corinne Carrow.

Tom dismissed Corinne out of his life years ago for a reason; he didn't want her apart of what he was planning. But now that she had somehow wormed her way back into his life again, Tom saw an opportunity. Corinne was the most innocent and naive person he's ever met, and judging by the way she was ogling at him in Potions class today, she may do whatever he asked with the right amount of manipulation. Yes, she would be very easy to persuade. But she also wasn't stupid.

So how would he go by getting Corinne to trust him enough to join his side?

Ideas began hatching in Tom's brilliant mind. He could go the drastic route and torture her until she agrees, which would be the easiest option, in Tom's opinion. But the image of Corinne screaming in agony was making him hesitate on the idea. Why was that? He didn't care about her.

He didn't understand why he cared about her in the first place. Probably because I was such a weak boy, Tom thought bitterly, gritting his teeth at the thought.

Sighing heavily through his nose, Tom decided to gain Corinne's trust a much more difficult way. He had to become friends with her again. The concept of befriending someone made him sick to his stomach, but it was the only thing he could think of that would surely fool Corinne. She would fall for his trick and eventually trust him enough to do as he tells her. Then an interesting thought occurred to Tom.

What if Corinne even fell in love with him?

Even better, Tom thought, smirking to himself. He would have the same affect on Corinne as he did with all the other lovesick females in this school. It would be so easy.

With Corinne on his side, maybe she could assist him in finding objects that had utmost significance to become his other Horcruxes. He'd been wondering lately if it was possible to create not just one, but multiple Horcruxes. Surely it had to be. With more Horcruxes, the less likely his immortality would be corrupted. It was more logical to split his soul several times.

He believed he could perhaps achieve this with Corinne, and here's why:

The Carrow family was famous for their extravagant lifestyle and lavish mansion. Most everyone in the European wizarding community knew this. It so happens that inside the family's massive home was one of the largest and most diverse collection of rare and valuable wizard artifacts. In fact, a great majority of the selection in Borgin and Burkes is provided by the Carrow's. Rumors suggest that in the midst of their collection is Salazar Slytherin's locket, a family heirloom that is rightfully his.

And Tom was willing to bet the Carrow mansion had the object that he desired. He just had to do whatever it took to gain access to their collection of treasures, even if that meant forcing himself to get closer to Corinne Carrow.

* * *

"Today, we will be brewing a fairly simple potion," said Professor Slughorn, pacing near the chalkboard. "You and your partner will have the entire class time to brew an elixir to induce euphoria. You may begin now."