Chapter 30: I Need You

February, 1944

The month of February was always melancholic for Corinne. Perhaps it was the romantic theme that seemed to waft through the air like a sort of poison, leaving the entirety of the Hogwarts student body utterly lovesick and bonkers. Corinne liked to make fun of those "struck by Cupid's arrow" to herself.

Though nowadays she felt herself sinking further and further into a swamp of despondency. And the cause could only be directed to one person.

Corinne trusted Dumbledore's judgement enough that she tried to force herself to forget about Tom. Fraternizing with a boy who was suspected of inevitable darkness would lead to no good. So far, all Corinne has gotten out of it is confusion and mixed feelings. She couldn't bear to have her heart toyed with anymore. That was all she was to Tom Riddle; nothing but a toy that could be put away and taken out to play with anytime he wished.

But the undefinable thing she had with him couldn't simply be shoved in the back of her mind. Having Tom in her life somehow made her feel as though she meant something to someone, even if it was just a small fraction and only temporary. Without Tom, Corinne only had Cyrus to love her. Love that came from a sibling.

And that just wasn't enough. Corinne wanted more from the one person she was afraid couldn't provide her with it.

She just needed to learn to accept that.

* * *

Skipping lessons to avoid someone wasn't the most ideal decision. Corinne knew she was being ridiculous, as she was already close to failing the classes she purposely missed. But most days, she just couldn't impel herself to face Tom. Corinne knew one look at that stupidly handsome face of his would cause her to break the oath she made to herself to forget about him.

She spent several times a week hiding in the empty library during the classes she had with Tom. So far- two weeks later- Corinne hadn't been caught, and none of the professors had thought to come to her and ask where she's been during their lessons. Surprisingly, not even Dumbledore. Corinne told herself that surely he's been busy and checking on her hadn't crossed his mind. Still, she couldn't shake her disappointment.

Corinne decided to pass the time by writing in her diary. She hadn't done that in months, since Olive Hornby had stolen it and read it to everyone in the Slytherin common room back in September. Ever since then, writing in the diary no longer felt safe, despite the charm Corinne placed on it that only allowed her to open it.

She rummaged through her schoolbag, which she also hadn't paid much attention to in months, allowing clutter to fill it such as balled-up bits of old parchment, broken quills, candy wrappers, and even crumbs from various foods she'd smuggled out of the Great Hall. Corinne didn't like to consider herself messy- even if she was- but the state of her bag made her nose wrinkle in disgust.

"Bloody hell," Corinne whispered to herself, dumping the contents of the bag onto her lap, as quietly as she could. She winced when a thick book tumbled out and smacked loudly against the floor, creating an echo. Corinne held her breath, listening for footsteps that could be on their way to find her. Faintly, the librarian's snores was the only sound that could be heard.

Sighing out in relief, Corinne picked up the book and studied it curiously. The first thing she noticed was its sinister title: Magick Moste Evile. 'Property of Hogwarts Library' was stamped in gold on its leather-bound spine.

Then, it hit her. Corinne remembered checking out this book from the Restricted Section two months ago. For what reason she borrowed a volume about the Dark Arts, she strangely couldn't recall. Why was her memory of it so foggy? The recollection itched at the back of her mind, although Corinne couldn't interpret it.