Chapter 34: Meeting With A.M.

April, 1944

Dear Corinne,

I deeply apologize for waiting so long to write you back. I wish I could promise you I'll write more frequently, but I'm afraid my scarcity of letters is necessary. Ever since the Ministry investigated father last month, our family has been high on their profile. Business at Borgin and Burkes has hit an all-time low, so much so that father has been terminated from their rank of suppliers. The Carrow family fortune has luckily kept us from bankruptcy, and will for a long while, but our family's reputation was affected more so than anything.

My dear sister, I assure you that this family matter has nothing to do with you. I'm only writing this to warn you that if the Ministry does end up convicting father for his crime, they could very well come after the rest of the family. Even me. Whatever you do, stay out of this. Maintain your promise to me.

Attached to this letter is the key to Grandfather Scovell's flat in London. I realized recently that you may need it since you'll be staying there this summer. You know how forgetful I am.

I will do my best get myself out of this situation so I can hopefully come stay with you once summer holiday begins. Not that you need anyone to look after you, of course. But it would reassure me of your safety.

I hope you are doing well. Usually I would encourage you to write me back, but not this time. The Ministry tracks everything every letter that enters and leaves Carrow mansion. It was a miracle I managed to get this to you.

I don't mean to worry you, Corinne. Wars don't last forever. Men like Grindelwald never triumph. I have to remind myself of this everyday, and I advise you to do the same.

Best regards,
Cyrus Carrow

Carefully folding up her brother's letter and placing it in her small decorative box full of letters she'd received and kept over the years, she tucked it inside, having to mash the thick pile of letters down to will the box to close. Before doing so, she collected the key taped to the lip of the envelope, weighing its heaviness in her palm. The slightly rusted brass key had once belonged to her grandfather. He'd once used it every single day to access his flat, which he lived in alone for nearly twenty years after Corinne's grandmother Odelia died before she was born. Corinne imagined her grandfather holding the key as if she could somehow feel one last connection to him through it.

"I love you," she whispered up to Grandfather Scovell, pressing a kiss to the key before taking off her necklace, threading the key through the chain so it dangled right next to the triangular pendant. Corinne would treasure the two symbols for the rest of her life.

Her thumb ghosted over the triangular pendant again as she closed her eyes, listening to the sounds of the Room of Requirement. In the dead of the night, absolutely nothing could be heard except—Corinne had to cease her own breathing momentarily to hear it—the faint sounds of snoring coming from Tom's bedroom area. He'd left the curtains surrounding his quarters open tonight, which usually muffled his snores. Corinne couldn't stop herself from picturing what it would be like to be in Tom's bed with him right now. Not doing anything indecent—just how it would feel to fall asleep in his arms.

Corinne assumed Tom wasn't comfortable sharing a bed with her, and that was why they slept in such distant proximity. She would lie awake each night on the sofa, grateful that Tom let her stay in the Room of Requirement with him, that tiny part of her wanted to be closer to him.

Desire was becoming stronger than her sense of morality. And that was terrifying.

Corinne eventually let the soft sound of Tom's breathing lull her to sleep, unknowingly clutching her necklace. Strangely, she did not dream of Tom.