17

A sense of unease passed through the group as they listened to Wendy's heavy words. Dipper shook his head, his previous beliefs only proving to be true. He knew something had been up with that teen. Why had he kept his thoughts to himself? Pacifica and Wendy could have been hurt, all because he decided to keep his mouth tied shut. Now, with this new information splayed out before him, he wasn't sure if he had more answers to his problems or more questions as to what he should do next.

"How do we know that this isn't just another one of his new merman abilities?" Mabel inquired from her seat on the broken and rundown couch. The entire group had migrated to the living room after Wendy and Pacifica had burst through the front door. There was no reason to stand about in utter confusion while they talked.

"You should have heard what they were saying." This came from Pacifica, who dismissed all inquiries as to how she obtained her new form. "Jazz mentioned something about his ghost powers, and his hand just started glowing green."

"Before that," Wendy added, her body quivering in worry and excitement, "Danny muttered something about a person named Dan. He sounded pretty bad."

"You said that they were arguing about how dangerous Danny could be?" Grunkle Stan inquired. He was leaning against the wall, adorned in his old suit and fez. He took off the latter and rubbed at his graying hair with a large, calloused hand.

"Yeah. Is that important?" Wendy had been sitting cross-legged on the floor, but at this moment, she rose. Curiosity clouded her eyes.

The great uncle muttered a single word that no one could quite make out.

"What?" Mabel rolled her eyes exasperatedly.

"Halfa."

Someone burst in through the front door, greeted only by the chime of a small bell and the creaking of a wooden door. Jazz, her hair askew, came running into the living room, practically taking the door down with her. Eyes wild, she scanned the surprised group.

    The few people that were sitting took this opportunity to stand. Grunkle Stan stood in front of the twins in a protective stance, his eyes slightly narrowed. It was a strange sight, as the great uncle was unusually serious. However, Jazz didn't have the time to mull this over. She had a little brother to protect. However, before Jazz could even open her mouth, Dipper was speaking.

    "We thought we could trust you."

    There was a moment of silence, filled only with the sounds of Jazz's heavy breathing and the creaking of weight on the old floor. Jazz shook her head and closed her eyes. She was too late.

    "You can, Dipper," she quickly stated, putting her hands on top of her head. The action helped her lungs expand and allowed her to take deeper breaths.

    "Wendy, give me the journal," Grunkle Stan said, refusing to take his eyes off of the out-of-breath, redheaded girl in front of him.

    Wendy lifted her lips in a snarl.

    "The journal," the great uncle demanded, lifting his hand. Wendy reluctantly passed it over as Jazz uncomfortably shifted from foot to foot, swaying.

    "Please," Jazz said, her voice pleaing. "I promise. We did nothing wrong."

    Mabel snorted, sitting back down on the couch. Her legs were tucked underneath her body. "Except almost take Wendy and Pacifica's heads off."

    Grunkle Stan flipped to a page in the journal and ran his finger over it, his eyes vigorously moving back and forth. With a sigh, he dropped the journal and kicked it towards Jazz. It landed right in front of her feet, prompting her to pick it up.

    "How'd it happen?"

    In silence, she lifted the journal and allowed her eyes to survey the page. With an intake of air, she froze.

    At the top of the page, in big, bold words, the name sat.

    Halfa.

    "I--I don't--" Jazz started, but she couldn't seem to finish her sentence. Dipper quietly clomped towards her, reading the page from over her shoulder. He was then followed by Wendy and Pacifica, the two of them craning to get a good look.

    "How did it happen?"

    Jazz looked up, tears beginning to fill her eyes. The great uncle, once thought to be crazy, had figured it all out.

    She had given away her brother's well-kept secret.

    With a shake of her head and a pitiful gesture towards the door, her mouth involuntarily formed the words she never thought she would say.

    "Why don't you go ask him yourself?"

* * *

    Led by Jazz, the misfit group followed the teen into the dark woods and towards the lake. Ignoring Jazz's desperate plea, Grunkle Stan had taken the Fenton's Ghost Globber, and he now stood behind the girl with the dangerous weapon grasped tightly in his hands. The teen's back was tense in worry as she listened to the sounds of quiet nature, which refused to give in to the ominous silence that had encased the group. Grunkle Stan was then trailed by the twins, who continued to stick together. A tired, worried Pacifica trudged on behind them, and an angered Wendy stayed at the way back. Her teeth were bared as she resisted the violent urge to growl.

    Jazz looked back as they approached the lake, her eyes wide. "Can I just go warn him really quick?"

    Stan glanced at the teen in front of him, then at the twins behind him. There was no way that he would put the two in danger. With a moment's hesitation, he quickly threw out the word like it was poison.

    "No."

    Tears were now streaming down the teen's face. She was so worried about Danny's safety and, taking a look at the Ghost Globber, she knew that she could be jeopardizing everything. With Danny in his current state, she doubted that he could properly fight back. However, that was beside the point. There was no way that Danny would fight back anyhow. This wouldn't be a ghost, this would be a middle-aged man. Sure, he'd fought Vlad, but that was different.

    Not to mention, Jazz thought with a grimace, it might trigger his darkness.

    She took a deep breath and stepped out of the forest and into the clearing, staring at the cool blue lake with a sickening feeling in her stomach. Danny had gone under the water by now, but she had little doubt that he wouldn't answer her calls. Sure, he hadn't answered her earlier, but he had been unconscious and panicked at that time. With a sigh, she took a seat at the edge of the rotted dock.

    She glanced back at the weapon in the great uncle's hand. "Drop your weapon."

    "Excuse me? Your brother can shoot green rays out of his hands, and you want me to drop my weapon?"

    "Mr. Pines, he's never hurt a human before. Not only that, but his powers are practically unusable while he's in the water. He's in a delicate state of mind right now, and that weapon will not help your case one bit."

    With a sigh, Grunkle Stan set his weapon down on the dock. "If he makes one move . . ."

    "I swear," Jazz made eye contact with the man, showing her genuine honesty. "He won't do anything."

    Jazz turned towards the water once more, closing her eyes. With a deep intake of breath, she called out her brother's name.

    However, her younger brother was not the one who broke the surface.

    Before Jazz could even scream, a wet hand grabbed at her arm and dragged her from the dock into the dirtied water.

This is unreal. My story is now #2 on the Gravity Falls / Danny Phantom crossover list, and I couldn't be more grateful. As always, thanks for your unending support. I've honestly ran out of words to say that express my love for all of you.