Off The Grid - 11

fubar

            Caleb drops Remy and she lands unceremoniously onto her ass on the carpet of the room.  She rolls to the left and is up before he can register what has happened. 

            Stefan’s stake, thicker than anything the Roma family uses hasn’t made it to his heart.  Caleb growls. 

            Stefan attempts to grab the stake and shove it in deeper but Caleb backhands him and Stefan is thrown off his feet. 

            Remy, having no weapon decides to play helpless victim.  “Who the fuck are you?  Caleb, oh my god, are you okay?”

            Caleb blinks and stares incredulously at her.  “No, no I am not okay!” he roars.

            “Come here, oh my god, why did he try and stab you with a piece of wood?” asks Remy trying to look aghast and she is sure she’s doing a good job of it.  It’s obvious that no one has taught Stefan how to make a proper stake.

            Caleb must know that there is no way that he can remove the protruding stake.  Remy spares a glance to the now unconscious Stefan, whose head is bleeding.  Serves him right, what was he thinking a stake that thick?  She clears her head and says again.  “Really, let me look?  I was a medic in the army.”

            Caleb’s eyes flash with interest.  He looks at Stefan then back to her.  “You don’t know him?”

            She shakes her head.  Stefan had smartly changed clothes from the club so he was not easily recognizable.  “No, come here I want to see if we need to get you to the ER.”

            Caleb tentatively turns.  Remy lets her fingers wrap around the stake.  “I don’t think it’s too deep.” 

            “Pull it,” growls Caleb.

            “Are you sure” asks Remy?  Playing the part, she just needs one good thrust.

            “Yes.”

            Remy smiles.  She wraps her right arm around the front of his chest and grasps the stake with her left and she thrust as hard as she can into his chest.  His whole body goes ridged and in moments he’s paralyzed.

            She grabs the sides of his head and snaps his neck.  The body hits the floor with a mail bag thud.  Remy shoves the door closed and wrenches a chair under the door knob.  She leaps over the now paralyzed Strigoi, kicks off her shoes and takes a few strides to Stefan.  She kneels, cursing at him.

            “Stefan, you dumb ass, you need to learn how to…”  She stops. His skin is dusky.  She places her hand on his heart.  “No, no.”

            His heart is pacing erratically, her fingers find his neck and the pulse gives an irregular and sickly thump under her pressing fingers.  “Mother fuck!” growls Remy.  She goes to the dresser, removing her cell phone from the small purse there and sends a text to Dax telling him where she is, and what has happened and to get here as soon as humanly possible. 

            She tosses the phone to the floor and goes back to Stefan.  If he dies she is sure that C will find a way to extract his vengeance on her, or on Lena.  He knows of her love for Lena, she is sure, since she gave up her freedom for Lena.  No. 

            A cold shiver ripples through her and she places her hand on Stefan’s chest, sending a pulse of energy, healing energy, life-force into him.  Nothing.  The pulse still does a sickly dance in his chest.  What the hell had the Strigoi done to him?