Off The Grid - 12

the bad-ass

            “Did the Strigoi bite you?” asks Victor for the tenth time.  “Perhaps if he’d bitten you and your wayward nature has simply assimilated what…”

            “NO!” howls Remy, cutting him off.  “Get the holy water I told you!”  She slaps Dax’s hand away from her cheek. “Quit it!  You shoving your fingers in my mouth only makes me want to bite them.”

            “I think it’s fascinating that you somehow grew fangs.  Lena did have you on the defensive at one point; perhaps his is evolution for you?  She was brilliant, Papa, you should have seen her soaring around on the branches.  She’s a natural.”

            Remy fishes a finger into her mouth and feels the teeth, not overly sharp but most definitely not there a few days before.  What the hell was going on with her now?

            “And this?” asks Victor, rubbing her arms where the scratches from the branches had healed and the gossamer of her blood had dried into featherlike wisps. 

            Just Victor and Dax are with Remy in Dax’s attic get-a-way, so Remy feels at least safe for the moment.  She’s always kept the secret of her blood to herself, born of blood and death, Remy didn’t like the reminder of how different she was. 

            Remy shifts her gaze from one to the other.  She sighs.  “I know Dax has taken my blood before but it’s never dried.  That’s what my blood does when it dries, Papa.  Nothing scary just dries white instead of – well, whatever color you say your blood might dry.”

            Victor steps back. 

            “You knew I was a Nephilim,” says Remy a panic in her voice.

            “Yes, well, I thought you might just be a talent,” he says, swallowing hard.  “One who heals.  This is proof you are a child of the gods.”

            Remy rolls her eyes.  “Christ, really?  Can’t I just be Remy?”

            Victor softens.  “Yes, you are Remy.  But we can’t ignore what you are, but we know who you are also.”

            She can hear the fear in his voice. 

            She gets up from the chair but Dax stops her from leaving.  “This could be just you coming into your own, as a Nephilim.  We know that not much is known about them, but they are old, as old as time and before.  And fangs; as we think about them, is a throwback to the cavemen.  They had smaller heads and longer canine teeth.  Maybe after a certain time on earth you just evolve or devolve?”

            Remy thinks back to the fall and how she hadn’t felt her bones break.  “When I fell, I didn’t heal like I usually do; I don’t think anything was hurt.”

            Dax’s eyes widen.  “We should – explore this.”

            Remy smiles, the points of her fangs press against her lips.  “Want to run me over with the car?”

            Victor groans and sits in the chair that Remy had just vacated.  “You will not run your sister over with the car, Daxton.”

            “Ohhhhhh, full names,” whispers Remy, grabbing a fistful of Dax’s shirt and pulling him close in a conspiratorial huddle.  Victor gives her a cold look.  “Sorry.”  She whispers to Dax. “We’ll do it when he isn’t here.”