Chapter 9: The Deserter

"Umm... Guys?"

Kaiden was completely lost. He didn't know how they did it, but his friends left him behind. Actually, he knew where they were, just not how to get there. Katara had left him a note telling him that the team went to the market for supplies. Would've been really helpful if she wrote down where that was...

After about half an hour of walking, he finally came across a small abandoned pier. Or, at least, it seemed like it used to. There was a single Fire Nation ship docked there as well as two people outside. The first was an old man with gray hair and a gray beard. He wasn't exactly the skinniest either. He was sitting down watching the second man. The second was much younger and appeared to be Kaiden's age. His hair was in a small ponytail, but the most notable feature was his face.

Nearly the entire left side of his face was covered in some sort of scar/burn. It was a bit disturbing and had Tyler wondering what the heck happened to this kid to get him that mark. But come to think of it, that mark seemed very familiar... Before he could think further on it, he heard the old man talking to the young one. Scarface seemed a bit ticked off at him and begun yelling.

"I know the basics, Uncle!" he shouted, "I don't need your help with that!"

"Patience, Prince Zuko," the old man, Iroh, began, but the Inage had tuned out after that.

Prince Zuko. The renowned banished Fire Nation Prince. Kaiden had been warned about this guy from the others. His sole purpose for being around was trying to capture the Avatar and bring him to the Firelord. Some kind of redemption quest or some crap. Then Kaiden realized where'd he'd seen Zuko before: The Blue Spirit. He felt so idiotic! How had he not remembered?! Kaiden took an unconscious step back and stepped on a twig. And it was quite a loud snap. Zuko and Iroh turned to the sound and Iroh stood up.

"Alright!" Zuko yelled out in Kaiden's direction, flames appearing in his hands, "Show yourself!"

"Now now, Zuko," Iroh said before calling out, "It's okay! We're not going to hurt you! Perhaps we could have some tea!"

"Uncle, what are you doing?" Zuko hissed.

"Whoever it is could be friendly," Iroh replied, "Or it could've simply been an animal. You don't know."

Kaiden raised an eyebrow. For an uncle of a banished Fire Nation Prince, Iroh seemed surprisingly friendly. After much thought, Kaiden stepped into the open. Hopefully Zuko didn't recognize him. Zuko did give him a funny look, but luckily didn't recognize him.

"And who might you be?" Iroh asked.

"Um, the name's Kaiden," the Image answered, "I kinda got lost looking for my friends and I stumbled across here... So... Hi?"

It was the truth, just not the whole truth. Iroh smiled and lowered his nephew's hands.

"Nice to meet you," he said, "Right, nephew?"

Zuko rolled his eyes, "Yeah, sure. Whatever."

"Now," Iroh continued, "Shall we have some tea?"

"Uncle, we don't have time for tea!"

Iroh looked offended, "There is always time for tea..."

Kaiden smiled, "I'd really like some actually."

Iroh grinned, "See, nephew? Some people have good taste!"

Zuko just glared at Kaiden, who replied with a shrug. As Iroh got out the tea, the two teens sat at a nearby table. Zuko kept glaring, making Kaiden a bit uncomfortable.

"Um, what's with the stare?" he asked.

"Where have I seen you before?" Zuko countered.

Kaiden's blood ran cold, but he kept calm, "I don't recall ever meeting someone like you."

He then looked at Zuko's burn, "And I'd definitely remember if I did."

Zuko growled, "Listen, you little-"

"Tea's ready!"

Iroh set down the tea and poured it as Kaiden took a sip and his eyes widened.

"I've gotta hand it to you, sir," he complimented Iroh, "This is the best drink I've ever tasted."

Iroh grinned proudly, "Why, thank you! I was right when I said you had good taste!"

Iroh's expression then turned a bit serious, "Just out of curiosity, do you know who we are?"

Kaiden pondered the question, wondering if he should tell the truth or not, "...Honestly, yes."

He turned to Zuko, "You're Zuko, the banished Prince of the Fire Nation, obviously."

Before Zuko could retort, Kaiden turned to Iroh, "And that would make you General Iroh, Zuko's uncle and Firelord Ozai's brother. And to be honest, I'm not sure whether to be humbled or terrified."

Iroh let out a laugh, "No need for either. We're just three people drinking tea."

Kaiden smiled, "Thanks."

He then turned to Zuko, "So... You got banished... Tell me about that."

Zuko stood up, "I've had enough! We've wasted enough time already! We need to find the Avatar!!"

"Why do you want to find the Avatar anyway?" Kaiden asked, "At least answer that."

Zuko glared and touched his scar, "I need my honor back... My father will restore my honor only when I bring him the Avatar."

"Why?"

Zuko turned to Kaiden, a bit surprised, "What?"

"Why does your father need to restore your honor? Can't you, I don't know, restore it yourself?"

"Because... because..."

Zuko couldn't find an answer. Kaiden had him stumped. Iroh chuckled a bit.

The Image then stood up, "I think it is time for me to go. Thank you for your hospitality, General Iroh."

Iroh smiled and shook his hand, "Please, the pleasure's all mine."

Kaiden walked past Zuko and whispered, "And it was nice seeing you again, Blue Spirit."

Zuko's eyes widened in shock, then realization, and he turned, but Kaiden was already gone.
_______________________________
I know this had absolutely nothing to do with the actual episode, but I got lazy and just didn't watch the episode and made this original chapter instead. Plus, you could technically count this as Kaiden's "life-changing field trip with Zuko". Till next time guys!