Before the Beginning (Prologue)

They came when you were quite small. One of your earliest memories was of the two men in robes making their way through the halls of your palace home. You remember peeking out from behind a corner, curiously watching the two men make their way to the throne room. One of the men, with long hair and beard, stopped and turned, looking back almost as if he sensed you watching. You let out a small squeak and dashed off, hoping he didn't actually catch you staring.

Hastily, you entered through the secret door to the throne room, reserved for just your parents–it wasn't really a secret, but in your imagination it was. You scrambled to your small chair beside your two mothers just as the two men from the hall walked in.

It was odd enough seeing men in your kingdom, since it was made entirely of women. The male population had their own kingdom, and both worlds lived in detached harmony. The women produced their own daughters, and the men had their own sons. Every once in a while, there happened to be a few men and women that fell in love, but they usually left the kingdoms to join a tribe. Some frowned upon this behavior, and some agreed with it in a quiet sort of way, but most people simply didn't have any opinions on it at all. So, seeing these two men in front of you in actual flesh and bone, not a hologram transmission, made you giddy with excitement.

They approached with a calm air about them that commanded respect, yet they bowed humbly to the two queens. As the man from the hall straightened, he caught your eye and smiled. In that moment, you knew he had seen you following them, and you immediately blushed in embarrassment.

Then the adults went into formalities and your mother made sure to hand you your favorite three dimensional puzzle to keep you occupied. It interlocked in multiple places, and if you solved it, would show you a special surprise.

As you played with the toy, you let your mind wander elsewhere. Trivial things, like dinner and when you could go out into the city. Things a child found interesting. Of course, it wasn't long before you'd solved the puzzle and began to squirm in boredom. You yearned to jump up and run around the two large thrones beside you. Fortunately, something in the grown ups' conversation caught your attention, "Princess Y/N is most definitely Force sensitive. We would like to invite her to the Academy to train as a Jedi, if you would so allow it."

You perked up at your name and looked to both of your mothers' faces, trying to gauge this new information as good or bad. They were trying to come to the same conclusion themselves. Finally, they shared a look that you couldn't quite place, and your mom turned back to the two men and asked, "Tell us, Qui-Gon, is this the best choice for our daughter?" The man that smiled at you earlier nodded and replied, "I believe it is. She will be well cared for and trained by the best. I can promise you that I will personally look after her, even if I'm not her Master, if that will ease your worries at all?"

Mother and Mom nodded, then Mom said, "So be it. But we will hold you to that promise, Qui-Gon. You will look after our little Y/N."

Not long after that day, the servants packed a bag for you, and the two men came back to take you away from your home. Your mothers said their goodbyes, and you cried through them both. You continued to cry, even on the ship, until the kind man knelt down in front of you and said, "Hello, Princess. I am Master Qui-Gon, and I promised your mothers that I would take care of you. So believe me when I say: Everything will be alright." Your sobs quieted to shuddering breaths as you looked into the eyes of the calm, kind Master Qui-Gon. Then you hugged him tightly, which surprised him a bit, but he soon returned the gesture.

And he kept his promise. Even though Yoda became your Master, and Qui-Gon took on a young boy instead, he always checked up on you and made sure you were doing well. He was there for you when you received the news that your mom had died, and was there for you through all of your training, often letting you spar with him in his free time. Through this, it surprised no one that you and the Kenobi boy became close. As padawans, and through the Trials, and through Qui-Gon's death, the two of you became ever closer.