Chapter 7

I was happily surprised when I woke up the next morning to find Hux's arms still tightly wrapped around me. I could feel the steady rise and fall of his chest and hear light snoring coming from him. I smiled at the moment, wanting it to last.
Of course it didn't, and a loud voice of one of the Stormtroopers sounded at the door. "General, we are approaching the ship."
I jumped a little in surprise and Hux stirred awake beside me. "Thank you," he said, his voice thick with sleep. "I'll be on the deck soon."
Footsteps retreated away, and I glanced back at Hux, who was rubbing his eyes trying to wake up. He somehow managed to look even better this morning than he had last night. I smiled and cuddled up to him again.
       "How close is 'soon'?" I mumbled into his neck. I could feel is pulse softly beating.
       "It's supposed to mean quickly," he said, rolling on his side to hold me. "But I can stay here like this a little longer. I'd much rather do that."
       "I'm very happy to hear that," I smiled. We laid there quietly for a few more minutes, my hands tracing his chest and his fingers twirling my hair. It was peaceful, and I wished we could spent the whole day there.
       He placed a small kiss on my forehead before sitting up. "Come on, we've got to get up," he said. "I have a lot to do today."
       I stretched and got up out of bed. I put on my uniform and watched as Hux did the same. He looked nice in those clothes, you had to admit. He caught you staring and smirked.
       "Problem, _____?" he asked, walking toward me. He pulled me close by the waist again, and my hands went up to his still unruly hair.
       "Not at all, General," I smiled, leaning up and giving him a small kiss. I pulled away from him so he could finish getting dressed and style his hair, which I was sure took a while.
When we were both ready we walked on to the deck. From there we could see the Finalizer in view, and I stared at how impossibly massive it was. It looked unlike anything I'd ever seen. I felt Hux's eyes on me and I looked up at him.
"You see why I want you to stay by me?" he asked, and I nodded in response. I fought the urge to link my arm with his, wanting to stand close with him.
We watched silently as the ship docked, surrounded by several others and a crowd of people watching closely. The door opened and the general walked out, looking confident and large as life. I followed behind him, amazed at how easily it was for him to conceal his emotions. I knew I looked nervous, and I couldn't hide it. I tried to keep my eyes locked on the general, but I could hear the soft whispers of some people, and it only added to how anxious I felt.
As we walked past the other First Order members, the General stopped, nearly causing me to run into him.
"Admiral, I'm calling a meeting," he said. "I need you to make sure all my men are in the conference room in a half hour."
The amdiral, a woman older than myself with features so sharp the could cut glass, gave him a stately nod. "Of course, sir."
He walked ahead again and as I continued I could feel the eyes of people staring at me. I felt a bit out of place being so close with the general. Though I wouldn't change my position for anything in the world.
His stride lead me into his office, where he waited until I was inside, then let the door shut behind us. He sat down at his desk and began writing quickly.
I stood awkwardly, watching him frantically scribbling on paper. "Um, sir," I started. "Is there anything I can help you with?"
"Make sure this is legible," he said without looking up. He held up the paper and started writing the next. His handwriting was scrappy because of the speed and the notes were in shorthand, but I understood what he was saying. We did this for several minutes, me reviewing his notes as he wrote quickly.
He stood as he finished the last one and collected the papers from me. "Let's go then," he said, walking from his office and down the halls. I followed him quickly, trying to remember all the turns so I could navigate without him.
Eventually we turned into a large room with a huge oval shaped table filled with every notable First Order member on board the Finalizer. I felt a rush of nervousness as they all turned to look at us. The general didn't seem phased by it as took his seat at the head of the table. Sheepishly, I sat by his side, seeing some displeased faces as I did so.
General Hux stood after a moment, and began retelling the events of the attack on Starkiller Base, an about picking up Ren and that he won't be on the ship for sometime. He began going into his plan to dismantle the Resistance when a man a couple seats down stood up.
"Forgive my interruption, General," he said. "But I'm curious, as I'm sure we all are, about the girl sitting to your right."
I tensed, not liking the sudden attention. It didn't seem like the general did either, based on the glare he sent to the man. I stood up, a little shaky by his side.
"This is Ms. _____," he said. "A new recruit on board the base when it was attacked. She proved to be very helpful to both Kylo Ren and myself. Is that a sufficient enough answer, Lieutenant?"
I felt their eyes staring at me, some of them glaring, others calculating my movements. I didn't feel very welcome surrounded by these people.
"If she's a new recruit, sir, why is she by your side? Why isn't she with the other entry level members?" the lieutenant asked.
The general let out a low growl of aggravation, only loud enough for me to hear. "She is my assistant," he stated. "As I said, she's proved herself beyond being a beginning recruit. I trust her as much as I trust any of my officers."
This gained a few more glares and some scoffs. I figured this would happen, though I still felt sick from it. I sat back down as Hux continued. I tried to listen, but my mind felt swamped with other concerns.
The meeting was closed and everyone filed out, leaving just the general and I in there. I stood, stacking up his papers in silence until I felt him place a hand on my shoulder.
"I'm very sorry about them," he said. "I should've warned you about how they'd react."
I turned to face him and sighed. "It's okay, I just felt a little isolated."
"Don't worry about it," he said, pulling me into a small hug. "They aren't going to change my mind, I don't care if they're angry."
I laid my head against his chest, feeling his heartbeat. He tilted up my head and gave me a short, but passionate kiss. I gripped the lapels of his greatcoat until he pulled away. He smiled to see my blushing face.
"I'll make sure that they don't bother you," he promised, giving me another quick kiss on the forehead. "Come on, we've got a lot of work to take care of."

A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for reading, I have a few announcements. First, the next chapter will be a time skip of a couple of months, just so you know. Second, the way I'm planning on ending this book will lead to a sequel, just so you know. Also you may have noticed that I changed the title and cover, I thought it suited better. Alright, thanks again for everything and I'll see you in the next chapter!