Chapter 9

I didn't sleep very much that night, my mind buzzing from the rendezvous with the general before. Though, I didn't mind if I was tired every night if I got to just lay beside of him, being held against his racing heart. I was so lost in these thoughts while I was packing a small travel suitcase that I nearly missed the sound of my room door sliding open then shut.
I turned around, knowing there was very few people that knew my passcode for the door. I smiled up at my intruder, recognizing the simple sound of his footsteps before even seeing him.
"Good afternoon, Hux," I said to him. I was in a cheerful mood, excited to be doing business for the general outside of the ship.
He placed a gloved hand on my chin and tilted my head up just enough to leave a small, chaste kiss on my lips. "You're only now getting ready?" he asked. "It's almost time to leave."
"Well, I was preoccupied with other business last night," I teased at him, turning back to my task. "But I think I can finish this pretty easy, so long as someone doesn't try to distract me again."
Hux rolled his eyes at my statement, and watched as I folded my clothes inside the bag and closed it. "Are you nervous about leaving the Finalizer?" he asked amidst the silence that fell between us. There was something in his voice that I couldn't place.
"Not really," I hummed confidently. "I'm sort of ready to go. I mean, I love being here and helping you, but going out into the star systems to be judge for you...that's a whole new level. I don't know what it is, but I feel like it shows how much you trust me."
       Hux nodded, fidgeting somewhat with his hands, a nervous trait I had noticed. "It's just going to be strange not having you around for a couple of days."
"Is that all?" I pressed, sensing something more behind this conversation. I checked the time, I had to leave soon. "And can you walk me to the ship?"
"Yes, I'll walk you," he said, heading back to the door and opening it for me. We walked down the halls in silence for a moment before I glanced up at him.
"You didn't answer my first question," I stated, and I could see in his face that he had wished I would let it go.
"I have a few concerns, but nothing that should prevent you from going," Hux replied in the flat tone that he spoke to other members, but rarely to me. It took me a minute to decode what he meant.
"Oh, so you're worried about me," I grinned, and I saw him close his eyes for a second, aggravation clear on his face that I said it so blatantly.
"Fine, yes," he said, his voice a low huff. "I am worried that this is your first time without me by your side since you started here practically."
I stopped, noting that we were far from the deck. I looked around and pulled him down a small hallway by his hand. "Hux, you don't need to worry about me," I assured. "I'm capable of doing a job on my own."
"I know you are, but that doesn't mean that the ship couldn't be attacked or crash land," he argued. "I'm not doubting your capabilities. I'm worried about the things that are out of your control."
I smiled slightly, finding what he said quite endearing. "Don't even think about that," I said. "Besides, when we first got together we both said we knew we couldn't protect each other all the time. Just pretend like I'm another employee."
"You aren't," Hux said sternly, looking me in the eye. "I know what I said and I stand by it, to a point, but things are different now. You aren't just a worker any more."
"Tell me, what is different then?" I asked, a bit surprised by his reaction. I wasn't aware that he had felt that I was no longer a worker.
"You should be able to tell," he said, and I could see the faintness of blush on his face. "It's painfully obvious."
I understood quickly what he meant, but I wasn't going to make it easy for him. "Why don't you just say it?" I asked, a teasing grin forming on my face. "It's just three little words, General..."
He glanced away from me, seemingly nervous. "I'll say it when you come back here safely," he replied after a moment. "Go now, you'll be late."
       He leaned down to give me a short kiss, still holding my cheek when he pulled away. He gave me a small smile before he walked out of the hallway and back to his work.

The lieutenant said nothing to me as I entered the ship. I knew he wasn't happy to have me here, but I brushed this knowledge off so I could tend to the matter at hand.
I made my way to my temporary room as the ship took off. I hoped we wouldn't be gone for too long, mainly just so I could be back to my general. I sat down on the bed, waiting for the ship to settle. I still haven't gotten the hang of walking around on deck when the ship was taking off. I hadn't had to deal with it since Starkiller blew up. That seemed like a long ways away now.
       "Ms. ______," the lieutenant called, banging on the door of my room. I jumped in surprise at the loud noise, but got up to answer him.
       "Yes?" I replied as the door slid open. I didn't know what he needed me for yet. I was sure that we were not at the planet so soon.
       "I just came to remind you that within a few hours we will be preparing to attack," he said. "I need you out of the deck, ready to inspect our Stormtroopers, even before we deploy them."
       I nodded. "Yes, sir," I confirmed. "Is there anything else, Lieutenant?"
       "No, I was just assuring that you're taking your job seriously," he said. "Just because General Hux isn't right behind you doesn't mean you can slack off."
       "If you are implying that I don't hold my duties to the general in highest regard," I began, frowning at his tone. There was a hint of faux niceness in my voice as I spoke. "Then you are sorely mistaken. I'm well aware of what he expects of me here and I plan on exceeding it."
       The lieutenant glared at me for a moment, and I stared back just as evenly. I had no reason to fear him, I was confident in my ability to do my job right.
       "Just don't forget that I'm your commanding officer here," he spat. "And I will not allow disrespect in any shape or form."
       He turned on his heel and walked away. I rolled my eyes at him before closing my door. I made my way back to the bed. I still had a few hours before we would reach the Resistance base so I crawled onto the bed, deciding to relax for a bit.
       I sat cross legged in front of my suitcase, opening the bag and rifling through it before pulling out one of the garments. It was equally black as the rest of my clothing, but much different in its own way.
       It was one of the standard issue black shirts that all First Order members wore, except that this one belonged to Hux. I nabbed it from his room before I left, a bit worried he would give me a hard time if he knew I had it.
       I smiled, laying back on the bed. The shirt covered my torso like a blanket and I curled into it. It smelled just like him. His body wash, cologne, and even lightly on the detergent he washed it with. It was an all together relaxing scent and I closed my eyes as my thoughts drifted to him. I wondered how he was fairing, even though I had only been gone a short time. I wondered if he looked up from his desk, expecting to see me on the couch doing paperwork.
       I thought about a lot of things, but I couldn't remember them all. The warmth of the bed and the sweet scent of the shirt slowly lulled into a much needed nap. I vaguely recall thinking that it would be the last time I felt relaxed until I was back aboard the Finalizer. I wish I had been wrong.

A/N: I'm sorry it's been a while since the last chapter, but I'm really happy with this and I'm close to starting the next book. I hope you guys will like this enough to check it out. Thanks for all the votes and comments, and for the nearly 20k views on this. I never thought I'd see that! I'm so grateful for you all and I can't wait to see you in the next chapter.