Chapter Fourteen-Jaiden

Jaiden always got up twenty-five minutes before he actually needed to.

The bell that signaled school had begun rung at 8:10. Jaiden got up at 7:35. It took him ten minutes to get ready, but he liked the extra five just in case. Sometimes he couldn't find his jacket, or had forgotten to prepare his breakfast the night before, and then he needed those five minutes.

He left the building at around 7:45. It took him ten minutes to walk to school. He didn't have to walk to school. If he wanted to, he could have taken the bus, but he didn't. He liked to walk to school. Sometimes, on the way, he would see people he knew. Usually he wouldn't. It was a busy city. There were a lot of people walking around.

He would get to school at 7:55. This gave him fifteen minutes to talk to people, unless he had used up five minutes getting ready. Then he would have ten, and that was fine by him as well.

This morning, he had gotten to school early, at 7:49. He had remembered to set everything out the night before, so it had hardly taken any time for him to get ready.

One of his best friends, Gracie Walker, dashed up to him as soon as he walked into the lobby.

"Jaiden! Jaiden, oh my god, you won't believe whaaat!"

Jaiden smiled and waved a greeting. "Okay, what?" he asked, setting his backpack on one of the couches that lined the lobby and sitting down next to it.

Gracie plopped down on the other side of his backpack. "Okay, so I was texting Keith last night, okay?"

Jaiden nodded. Keith was his other best friend.

"Okay. So, like, you know how you said he liked me?"

"Yeah."

"And I didn't believe you?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, well I was wrong!"

Jaiden leaned forward. "Did he ask you out?"

Gracie shrugged. "I mean, not exactly. He was like, " Hey, can I tell you something?" and I was like, "Okay, sure," and he was like, "What would you do if I had a crush on you?" and I didn't really know what to say to that."

Jaiden laughed. "Okay, what did you say?"

"I said it would be okay."

"And what did he say?"

"He said he liked me."

"And what did you say?"

"I said I liked him, too."

"So you're pretty much dating."

Gracie shrugged and flicked her hair over her shoulder. "I mean, yeah, pretty much, I guess, but it's not official."

"Well, make it official," Jaiden said.

"I want him to, though."

"Why?" Jaiden laughed.

Gracie crossed her arms and feigned a pout. "Don't laugh at me. I just like it when the guy asks."

"But what if he doesn't?"

"He will!"

"Have you seen him today?"

Gracie jumped to her feet. "Nope. Let's go find him."

Jaiden picked up his backpack, slung it over his shoulder, and followed her.

They found Keith in the cafeteria, sitting at the first lunch table in the third row, talking to two of his other friends. Gracie slid into the seat across from him, and Jaiden sat down next to her.

"Hi, Keith," Gracie said. Her voice was noticeably higher.

"Hi." Keith smiled and held out one fist.

Gracie reached out and bumped it. Her eyes were sparkling.

"Hi, Jai," Keith said. "What's up?"

Jaiden shrugged. "Just following Gracie around."

Keith chuckled. "What's up with you, Gracie?"

Gracie shrugged. "Getting followed around."

Keith grinned. "You look nice today, Gracie."

Gracie leaned across the table. "Thanks! You do, too."

Keith propped his head up on his hand. "I always do."

Gracie rolled her eyes. "Shut up."

"You know it's true."

Jaiden felt Gracie shift next to him, and Keith yelped. Gracie giggled.

"What happened?" Jaiden asked.

"Dude, she kicked me."

Gracie laughed harder.

"Why are you laughing?" Keith asked, though he was laughing himself. "You're such a mean person, Gracie."

Jaiden smiled and rolled his eyes at Gracie. She stuck her tongue out and turned back to Keith.

"You do always look nice," Gracie said.

"My shin still hurts."

"Whatever." Gracie flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"Thanks, though."

Gracie smiled. "Uh-huh."

"You look nice, too."

"You said that."

"What's for breakfast?" Jaiden asked.

"Cinnamon rolls, muffins, some weird fruit salad, and probably some other stuff. I can't remember everything," Keith said. "It's the same crap they always have."

"Don't you eat at home?" Gracie asked.

"Yeah. Sometimes I like to eat here, too."

"I should start eating at home," Keith said. "School food's nasty."

"Some of it's good," Jaiden said. "I like the pizza. And the lasagna's okay."

"The quesadillas!" Gracie said.

"You don't have those for breakfast," Keith said.

"I know. The muffins are good, though," Jaiden said.

The bell rang, sharply, and Gracie jumped.

"Bye," Jaiden said, gathering his backpack and putting it on.

He exited the cafeteria without looking back at Keith and Gracie.

He wanted to give them a bit of privacy.