Leaving

Mom was crying when Dad flipped the TV off. I have to admit that I was a little teary myself after watching footage like that. 

CNN had obtained the footage illegally, against the wishes of the United States Government. 

We all watched as they showed the US Capital being mobbed by angry hordes of people throwing whatever they had in their hands at the officials trying to hold them back.

Finally, the police with their sheilds had enough. The gunfire began, and it didn't cease as anyone who had a firearm began to shoot wildly at whatever was moving. Blood poured from the bodies, pools of it flooding the streets and staining those who were still alive. 

Channel after channel had these videos and pictures, all scenes of unspeakable gore and horror. I watched as mothers sheilded their children with their bodies, fathers throw their wives behind overtunred cars as they too were cut down by gunfire. 

It only got worse as the police stepped in, and as they began to merilessly beat down any and all protesters. 

Then they began to get creative, breaking out illegal weapons and setting fire to buildings. Smoke and fire filled the sky and the sun disappeared. 

Blood seemed to rain from the sky and the symphony of destruction rang out through the streets, screams of terror and evil ringing through the speakers. 

So Dad shut the TV off, and we all sat in silence.

"We need to leave," Dad said. 

"Yes," Mom agreed hoarsely. 

"Why?" I asked, hysteria pitching my voice to new heights. 

"If the riots started in Washington, they will soon spread. Look," Dad said, flipping on the TV. 

The local news showed the same videos as all the rest, but with something new. The riots were in Raliegh, the capital of North Carolina. We were but twenty minutes away, and we all knew that they would slowly begin to spread. 

We frantically packed, each only throwing whatever we could find in the suitcases and jamming them in the car. I saw the look of loss in dad's eyes as we closed the garage, bottles of watter piled in the backseat along with as many preserved foods as we could find. A couple of blankets, some coats, and Dad's pistol were the only other things we had the time to find, and we drove away from our home without looking back.