Chapter 29

-Naruto's POV-

It's been 4 days since the attack on Granny's office and everyday she requests for me to visit her, but without Sasuke. At first I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do since she wanted me to keep a watch on him. I mean, I can't do that if you want me by myself. It turns out Sakura replaces me every time I visit. Although there really isn't any reason for me to come here this often.

"Any moment I feel like that bastard is going to come back." Lady Tsunade whispers to me, but mainly to herself.

"We'll catch him if he does. There's no way he'd be able to escape everyone." I tell her, promising something that I'm sure I'm able to keep.

Tsunade's somber expression grays against the brightness of the windows behind her. "Naruto." She calls me. "I have reason to believe that Sasuke is the criminal who broke into my office."

A sudden switch flips on inside me. "Sasuke? Why do you say Sasuke?"

"I don't have any solid proof as of yet, but I'm almost positive that-"

"You don't have any proof and yet you assume that Sasuke is the one who raided this place." I keep my anger contained, but my fist clenches to the side of me.

"He's the only person capable enough to avoid being seriously injured from my punches. If another ninja were to have been seriously injured then they would still be in the village, but all of the borders have been watched and many villagers questioned. Not a single misplaced person. It's highly likely that he's the culprit, but that's still not enough evidence to charge him."

"Why won't you leave him alone?!" I yell out, alarming Granny and Shizune beside her. "All you ever do is blame Sasuke for everything. He's changed. He's not the person he used to be! I just got him back and now you want to take him away from me?!"

"I guess rogue ninjas don't change, Naruto. I thought Sasuke-"

I interrupt her once again. "Sasuke changed. I vow on my life that he's changed. I just..." A stinging pain comes from my eyes. "I love him, Granny. You can't take him away again. Please not again."

Lady Tsunade and Shizune both have sad expressions on their blurred faces. "I understand how you feel, Naruto. But this is for the good of the village. What happens, happens. I'm sorry. You may leave."

I wipe my tears on my sleeve and head to the door to take my exit. As I touch the doorknob I turn my head slightly. "Sasuke is a good person. I trust him. You should too." I take my leave and breathe deeply to avoid becoming overly anxious.

She doesn't know Sasuke. She doesn't know my Sasuke. My Sasuke is kind, sweet, and a loving jerk. He couldn't have done this. He would never have done any of this. I tell myself this over and over as I walk back home, but somehow deep within my mind I know that there's some truth to Tsunade's words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Everything okay, Naruto? You haven't even finished your first plate of shabu-shabu" I look up from my dish and see Sasuke giving me a concerned look.

I shake my head from unwanted thoughts. "Yeah, yeah. I'm alright." I give him a smile for reassurance. "How was your visit with Sakura today? Did you have fun?"

Sasuke groans. "She brought Sai with him. I swear I really hate that asshole. Why did you have him replace me on Team 7? He's nothing, but a...." I tune out his words as I continue staring at his face. His eyelashes are so dark and long and his lips are very plump and pink. His raven-colored hair fell in wisps a little above his eyes. How could someone so adorable do anything against the village? He's changed. Sasuke has definitely changed.