Chapter 17

-Sasuke's POV-

"I love you." I say to this dobe. His smile grows even larger and I'm sure that I will always remember it.

"I love you." He tells me and I can't help but give him a smile in return. It's not a smirk, it's not something forced. It's so genuine. I swear, only he can cause me to smile like this.

Naruto's quiet for a moment, which isn't really like him. I know something's on his mind and I can already guess what it's about. He's worried about what everyone else is going to say. "Naruto?" I call his name, luring him back to me.

"Yeah?" He answers, his voice hinting that he's still thinking.

I bring a hand to his cheek and caress it. "Don't worry. We won't have to tell anyone about this." There is no way in hell that I am going to let those assholes tell us shit about this. I know they will go against Naruto and try to manipulate him to their will.

"How did you know what I was thinking?" He asks.

"I am still considered a horrible monster, while you're the hero. I think the fact that we're in love basically defies everything that everyone else believes in." You're going to worry yourself to death about me if anyone were to know.

"You're not a monster, Sasuke. If you can still find it in your heart to love, you're not something horrible." Naruto's voice saddens, and I hate that I made him sad.

"They believe so. That's why it's best if no one found out about us. This will be our secret. At least, until there comes a time when we can finally be open about it." Naruto's hand stops twirling around the strands of hair that are between his fingers.

"Sasuke..I don't want to keep you a secret." He tells me.

I'm taken back in surprise. "Why not?" You do realize you'll be given shit, you'll be laughed at, you'll be turned against, you won't be the hero anymore.

"You don't deserve to be kept one. You deserve so much more than that. If I could, I would let everyone know. And I know you're the one who's worrying, Sasuke."

I let out a mocking laugh. "How can I not be worrying? You're doing all of this for a person like me, and throwing away basically everything that should mean something to you."

"Shut up." Naruto commands. "I would do anything for a person like you and I'm not throwing anything away. If no one can understand me, then they weren't really for me. If they turn their back on me, I will still be looking out for them. That's what a hero does."

"Can a person who's hated be called a hero?" I ask.

Naruto's quiet for a moment then lets out a breath of air. "A person who is willing to risk their life for someone who hates them is called a hero and I've been hated my entire life. To be hated again wouldn't do anything to me." 

Naruto, you sure have matured. "Let's just give it some time before anything is said." I barely got back into the village and things still need to get settled. Honestly, I want our relationship to be our little secret. Well, it will be. But who knows for how long?

"Alright. If that's what you want. We don't even have to tell anyone ever, if you don't want to. I'm sorry that I just thought of myself. I forgot that maybe you had a different opinion."

He really does know me. A small smile plays on my face. And I really do love him. "I doubt we would be able to hide it forever."

I see Naruto move against the grass and feel his warm lips against my forehead. He pulls away, but I still feel them pressed against me. "However long you want to wait, I don't mind. As long as I have you, I'll be alright."