Chapter Nineteen

AUDREY'S P.O.V
"Has he said anything?" Thomas asked.
We were walking into Alby's room.
"No" Teresa and I responded.
Newt sat on the bed next to Alby. "Alby?" he asked and all he received in response was a sob. "Alby are you alright?"
"Alby? Alby we might have just found a way out of the maze. Alright? We could be getting out of here." Thomas told him kneeling down next to Alby and I shot Newt a confused look. We could get out of the maze?
"We can't. We can't leave. They won't let us." Alby replied crying
"What are you talking about?" Thomas asked
"I remember..." Alby said
Faint shouts came from outside. I glanced at the door Then at everyone else. I didn't want to go but I figured I should go see what happened.
"I'll go." I said and ran out the door. I saw the gladers running with torches. Minho ran by.
"Minho what's happening?" I asked him grabbing his hand as He ran by. He gave me a terrified glance and squeezed my hand.
"Its the doors, They aren't closing." he informed me and I glanced up quickly. The doors were still open and it was already dark out.
"Newt! Newt get out here! Hurry!" I screamed
"Audrey! What is it?" He asked running out.
"The doors..." I couldn't finish. The fear over came me. Saying the doors won't close is basically saying we are going to die. The Grievers might come and kill us. Newt looked at the doors and panic flashed in his eyes.. We all crowded by the doors hoping they would close.
A loud ear splitting noise came over the glade. I covered my ears and leaned into Minho slightly. I looked up and saw the wall to our right splitting, creating another door. I lowered my hands only to lift them to my ears again when another door opened to our left and a last behind us.
"Newt..." I began grabbing his arm. He pulled me into his side and held me there, partially to protect me and partially to reassure himself that I was okay for the moment. He sent a small group to go get a better look at the newly opened door. Of course, being the leader of the runners, Minho was chosen to go with them. We shot eachother worried glances but he calmed me by flashing the tiniest smirk. He was trying to reassure me that everything would be alright
"Chuck I want you to go to the council hall. Start barricading the doors." Thomas told Chuck.
"Winston, Audrey you go with him." Newt said handing Winston a torch.
"No I'm staying with you" I told him
"Go with Winston. I'll be okay." he quickly gave me a hug and kissed my forehead. He then pushed me away towards Chuck and Winston.
"Be careful Newt." I told him as I turned around
"Always." he said
Winston, Chuck, and I ran to the council hall. As we entered the door I could here Thomas yell at everyone to hide. The Grievers were already here. Chuck, Winston, and I began to block all of the doors except for one. When we did everything that we could. i heard screams from other gladers. I wondered if one was Newt. Or Minho. Or Thomas. Or Alby. Or Frypan. Teresa. Clint. Jeff. Even Gally. I couldn't take not seeing any of them. I ran to the door.
Chaos.
A Griever was right in front of the council hall dragging a boy away. It didn't notice me standing there. I couldn't tell who the boy was. Chuck was then standing next to me.
"Come on!" he yelled at a group of gladers who were running towards us. Thomas, Minho, Frypan, Clint, Jeff, Teresa, and Alby were some of them. I continued to search faces. At the back of the crowd was Newt. His limp making him slower than the others. The second Minho ran in I gave him a quick hug wrapping my arms around his neck. We pulled away as Newt came through the door. I gave him a hug too and asked if he got hurt.
"I'm fine, are you alright?" He asked
"I'm fine. Are you sure your leg isn't-?" A cracking noise sounded from above.
A Griever