Chapter Twenty

AUDREY'S P.O.V
Everyone became quiet. The Griever walked along the roof. It moved to the left side of the building and we all climbed onto the seats to stay away from it. It then smashed it's metallic claw through the ceiling. I screamed and so did everyone else. I backed farther away against the far wall and Newt was behind me. I saw the metal wrap around the main support beam of the ceiling and pull. In one motion the pole disappeared and the ceiling fell. A branch the used to make up the ceiling fell and hit me on the stomach. I stumbled back hitting newts chest. He grabbed my shoulders to steady me.
"I'm alright." I told him before he could ask. He pulled me behind him where Minho was standing.
"Are you good?" he asked concerned and I nodded.
"Is everyone alright?" Newt called out quietly so the Griever wouldn't hear.
"Help me!" someone yelled from under the rubble. Thomas and Newt began to climb forward but instantly jumped back when the metallic hand came down and picked up the boy from under the fallen ceiling. I screamed again and Minho grabbed my arm. He and I jumped out of The way of another falling branch. I steadied myself and we looked at each other in The eyes. That was close.
The Griever climbed right over us on what was left of the roof. We all moved to another side. I stood next to Chuck and behind Newt. A crash came from behind me. I didn't even get to turn around when someone had pushed me down. I landed on my knees and elbow. When i looked to see what happened I saw Chuck being grabbed by the Griever. I instantly jumped up and grabbed his hand.
"Chuck!" I yelled. everyone else ran over and helped me stop Chuck from being taken. Tears began to fill my eyes. I was right in front of him and he looked into my eyes. I tried to pull him free but I couldn't do it. Chuck saved me and now he was about to die because of it.
"Chuck don't let go." Thomas yelled
"No shit!" Chuck yelled back and it would have made me laugh if it weren't for the circumstances. The Griever's sharp needle came out of it's arm and positioned itself to stab Chuck. I began to cry. I couldn't save him. He was practically my little brother and I couldn't save him.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw Alby. He had picked something up off of the ground and was charging at the arm of the Griever. He yelled and began to hit the needle part of the arm. It fell to the ground and Alby continued to beat at the metal. After a few hard hits Chuck fell into the ground with a thump and the metal arm contracted.
"Chuck!" I yelled and wrapped my arms around him. "Thank you." I whispered.
"Your welcome." he said in our hug. "Thanks Alby."
"Alby!" someone shouted and I pulled away from Chuck. I saw the shiny metal wrap around Alby's waist. I screamed again unable to control myself. First it tried to take Chuck, one of my best friends who I consider a littler brother, but now Alby. The arm tugged And Alby went flying through the ceiling. He managed to grab onto a branch. That was the only thing keeping him inside. I began to run forward, but Minho grabbed my arm before I could.
"Audrey stop!" he yelled not letting go. I hit his arm and his chest trying to get away and help Alby, but I was too weak. After a few seconds Alby was pulled from the building. He was gone.
I sunk to my knees and Minho let go of my arm. Thomas ran out the door even though the rest of the gladers told him not to. Minho and I were left with just a few other boys who were too terrified to go outside.
"Audrey?" Minho asked And I looked up at him. He helped me up and pulled me into a hug. When he pulled away he looked at me. "It's okay."
I shook my head and turned towards the door. "This is not okay, Minho."
I knew Thomas had ran out and Newt had chased him. Chuck, Teresa, and the others left right after them.
What did the glade look like now? What if everything was destroyed? What if the second we were all outside the Griever's would attack and kill all of us?
What if everyone needed our help?
"Audrey? Where are you going?" Minho said as I began to walk to the door.
"What if the Griever's are still there?" I asked
"They are gone." he told me
"How do you know? What if the others need help?" I replied glancing at the door.
"We would hear them if they needed us" He stated
"What if they do?" I asked anxiously.
"They can take care of everything okay just stay here" he said grabbing my hand and beginning to pull me away from the door.
"What if they were already attacked Minho!" I yelled yanking my arm free "I don't feel like losing anyone else tonight. I cant loose anyone else. Not after Alby..." my voice trailed off and I looked to the ground. Minho enveloped me in a tight, protective hug with his arms secure around my waist and shoulders.
"If your that worried you stay here and I'll go look," he told me as he let go.
"What?" I asked "we'll both go and-"
"No stay here," he said as he walked past me.
"The grievers could still be in the glade and I don't want you getting hurt so just stay here Aud," he told me looking me in the eyes, "okay? I...I'm just trying to protect you just incase..."
"Minho," I told him,"I know you're trying to protect me, but I can't just sit and do nothing.  Those are our friends out there, my brother."